CCNA Journey

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Paddyj23, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Paddyj23

Paddyj23 New Member

Hi Everyone.

I have been studying for my CCNA for over 1 year, simply because i have put off doing the studying for ages. Especially when it comes to reading the Wendall Odem books, which contain a tremendous amount onf information. I have since started the CCNA video boot camp on Udemy from Chris Bryant. Since i have started that course my studies have really shot forward (i guess i work better by watching rather than reading) I thought i would do a weekly update, i hope to ask questions if i am having difficulties or need some of my thoughts confirmed.

Cheers

jk2447 likes this.
  2. Paddyj23

Paddyj23 New Member

Hi Guys,

Well i have certainly been busy this week! I have covered the following :

1: OSI and TCP model
    2:Cabling
    3: TCP and UDP basic's
    4: Duplex and Autonegotiation
    5: Basic switching
    6: Building a Mac Address Table
    7: Port security
    8: STP fundementals.

I think i am progressing well. Once something has been covered i compare with what i have learned with a couple of reference books not to prove if its wrong but to see if there is info missing.

Also with the lab work i practice the new commands learnt daily and i also branch out into things not covered like the different violations on port security just to make sure that i understand it completely.

I don't move on until i do, in my mind no point skipping something i can't figure out. So all in all i am happy with the first week.

I will of course keep everyone updated

Cheers,

P

I am also hoping someone else on here is studying to the CCNA and preferably in the UK if they want someone to nuddy up with then pm me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Sparky likes this.
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate - I'm installing more Cisco kit at work these days with VOIP and Wireless so I need to get my act together and get the CCNA nailed :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

nuddy up, I don't know why but that sounds dirty! hahaha. ( I can gather it's a typo and supposed to be buddy, just sounds dirty to me as nuddy for some reason).

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  5. Paddyj23

Paddyj23 New Member

Ok so been awhile since i updated this post but I have now covered the following -

· Networking Fundamentals – (networking models, tcp and udp)

· Ethernet – (duplex, suplexes and autonegotion. Cabling,rollover cables)

· Switching basics – (switching vs hub, building mac address tables, dynamic and static mac addresses, vtp, Vlans, collision and broadcast domains, stp and basics to port security via mac address control)

· Routing and IP addressing Fundamentals – (ip classes and ranges and routing processes)

· Cisco configs – (encryption, interfaces, start and running configs and the config reg)

· DNS, ARP and DCHP – (DNS, ARP and Proxy ARP. DORA and DHCP relay and IP Helper. Also covered how to turn a router into a DHCP server.)

Getting close to exam date!

6. rocdamike

rocdamike Byte Poster Gold Member

Good luck mate. I'm looking to hopefully take the ICND2 exam this week. I'm on the last chapter of Todd Lammle's book which is about WAN technologies (HDLC, PPP, Frame-relay). For some reason, I'm finding this chapter the most difficult...

Certifications: F5 CTS, LTM | F5-CA | CCNA: Sec | CCNA: R&S | ITIL Foundation
    WIP: AWS Solutions Architect
  7. Paddyj23

Paddyj23 New Member

i covered HDLC basics with the odem book so i know a little about it. PPP and Frame Relay are a mystery right now, but i will be covering them soon.

8. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

It sounds like your approaching exam time.

Are you going for the exam or will you just be covering the material only?

I would highly advise going for the 2 x exam approach (ICND1 and ICND2) as opposed the entire CCNA exam.

All the best!
    B

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  9. Paddyj23

Paddyj23 New Member

Yes mate am going for the ICND1 then 2. Exam dates are scheduled for april