COBIT Foundation and Implementer

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Rob1234, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I recently completed both the above certifications so thought I would give a brief overview of them.

For the foundation there is an option to study online, attend a course or just sit the exam. I choose the course option really the only training material you need is the COBIT book -The Overarching business and management framework for governance and management of enterprise IT. The exam itself is not too difficult but has quite a high mark to pass. All the questions are based on the book mentioned above.

For the Implementer you have to attend a training course before you can sit the exam and you have to have already passed the foundation exam. This exam is open book but the only book you can take is the COBIT 5 Implementation guide. The exam is a 2.5 hours exam and is quite difficult but only has a pass mark of 50%. Due to it being open book a lot of the questions you need to look up the answers as otherwise there would be no way to know the answer really the biggest challenge is finding the answers in the book in time rather than actual knowledge of COBIT although the more knowledge you have the easier it will be.

Overall I found both courses enjoyable but am not sure how much I will actually use COBIT in my day to day job I am looking to use COBIT Security framework in the future.

Certifications: A few.
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, do you like/prefer COBIT to other frameworks such as ITIL, FITS, MOF, any other... Now that you've had a chance to study it?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I have some experience with ITIL and would say I prefer COBIT over it but the big issue I see is most senior managers have heard of ITIL whereas due to there lack of awareness of COBIT its a bit of a tougher framework to get them to support.

Certifications: A few.