Degree without havnig A Levels?

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by webslinger2k, Jan 18, 2008.

1. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I have been reading lots lately in different places about getting a degree.

I left college before completing my A Levels sadly, and then got into IT when I was about 20.

My ambition is to get some form of IT degree, the only problem is, with so much information out there, I really do not know which is the best way to go about it.

Somone on here mentioned you can do NVQ's onto GNVQ, onto HND, then onto Degree...is this possible? and where could i find such information??

All I have to my name currently are a few MS cets, and my GCSE's, I want to achieve the degree for personal achievement more than anything else.

Info greatly appreciated.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That is how I did it, apart from the degree that is, couldn't afford it. Have a look at your local college I had no GCSE grades above a D when I left school I did NVQ Level 1 & 2 which enabled me to do the Advanced GNVQ which enabled me to get to Uni to do the HND.

Depending on what grades you get in the GNVQ you could skip the HND and go straight for the degree, but looking at your age you could do a degree without any of the former ones as a mature student or do HND then Degree.

My personal opinion is the GNVQ will be a waste of two years full time study for you because of your experience you could go for the higher qualifications.

Good Luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Yeah I wouldnt really want to do anything I didnt have to, i.e earlier NVQ's for the sake of it, as I imagine it may be a case of teaching granny to suck eggs so to speak.

I have i think 6 A-C GCSE's, if I recall my college days, that was (then) enough to get into an advanced GNVQ - unsure if thats still the case. Any ideas?

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  4. greenbrucelee

Well I got into college to do the GNVQ with 2 NVQs and 9 GCSE's my highest GCSE being a D, as I said if your older than 21 you could get into a degree programme by being a mature student. At the time if I remember correctly to get the GNVQ you needed about 4 GCSEs including maths at C grade and I didn't I had to do extra maths along side the course.

I think the GNVQ could be too basic for you.

Go to your local college and see if you can get an appointment on their IT qualifications and see if you could speak to one of the IT lecturers they will be able to let you know whats involved and guide you in the right way.

5. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Have you considered trying the local college, and seeing if they run the Access to Higher Education course? I did this, over one year, at my college, before doing a HND in Computing, which I could have carried on with to get a full degree. I dont have A levels either.

I think that the college I studied at also run the Access course as an evening course, spread over two years as well. Bear in mind that the Computing parts of the course (You have to study some "core" skills as well - Maths, English etc.), may seem a little basic if you already have some MS certs. But an enjoyable course none the less.

Certifications: HND Computing
  6. greenbrucelee

Just to add you could do a full time 2 year HND and then a one year top which would give you a degree. If you have to work you could do it part time which would be around 4 - 5 years in total.

7. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Suggest you have a look HERE
    It's your local College and they may be better to ask.
    That said you may well be able to use your current qualifications to help you gain entrance to an HNC or HND course.

The degree in IT a friend did recently also covered A+/Network+/MCP & CCNA on top of the BSc degree work.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  8. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

WOW a post were i can help lol

Anyway i hvae no gcse s nor do i have much. I do however have a level 3 nvq as a motor vehicle technician, but that qualification was no use to me when i applied to my uni. Instead what i ahd to do was a fast forward course which was over 26 weeks. i didmine in 6 weeks and now im in the mddle of my 2nd year. I dont know ifthis is a regional thing but here 25 classes you as a mature student. All a did was ring up the uni and walked the course, then went on to the degree course.

I think if you look at the local government website you will get a lot more info

Hope all goes well

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Do you want to do your degree part-time? If you do and your over 21 (and because you also have IT experience & your MCP/MCDST) you can do your degree (BSc) in Computing with what you have as you are classed as a mature student*.

For example:

I did my p/t degree this way, first 2 years at De Montford, last 3 years at University College Northampton (aka University of Northampton).

-Ken

*subject to interview

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Google UK Foundation Degrees. not sure about entry requirements, but they are supposed to prepare you to take a full-on degree after completion. They are not really intended as a qualification in their own right, but provide the foundation required for first degrees.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  11. Kitkatninja

Foundation degrees are qualifications in their own right. Once attaining a foundation degree you are allowed to use the post-nominals (eg. FdA, FdSc, FdEng, etc) after your name. They are equivalent to the Associate's Degree in the US and they are the "vocational version" of the HND over here (with the main difference being that the foundation degree actually having degree status).

-Ken

ref: here and here

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I stand corrected, but I've never come across anyone so far who has stopped at a foundation degree.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  13. fluffy.angels

fluffy.angels New Member

Hi, Please Help!!!

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could possibly help me! I tried 'Googling' stuff but I couldn't find anything! To cut a long story short, I sat my AS Levels and completed them in 2004, resulting in a 'B' in English Language and a 'C' in Law. I began my A2 in college and sat the standard exams in January 2005 however due to some family commitments, I was unable to complete my A2's! So I tried to have a look around and research if I was able to re-sit the A2's but no such luck. I work full time and do want a degree.. Also to mention a vital point, my GCSE's, I came out with low results, around 3 GCSE's C and above cos my Dad passed away 3 months before my exams, my college overlooked that cos my predicated grades were high. Please help! As I am desperate to start my education again ASAP! Any info would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

FluffyAngel

14. Kitkatninja

Hi, you do not need to double post, please see your orginial post for my answer.

-Ken

15. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I would look at UCAS they process applications in the UK

So it depends on the course, UCAS has a book with every course from every university with such details

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/maturestudents/admissions

I personally got three A graded A level equivalents via BTEC Nationals, but i had to retake GCSE English as my grade wasn't high enough at the same time I was diagnose with dyslexia, however, I wasn't a mature student that was straight from college.

Mature students i know have done foundations (1 yr) before a degree if it was felt that a degree would be too difficult at first, remember most mature students haven't studied or taken exams since they left school.

[posted for future reference]

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots