CertForums.com IT Certification Forum Homepage

Prometric to Introduce “More Affordable” IT Certification to Market

You are viewing a topic in the News forum part of the General Forums category.

• Share:
    Country
    Germany Country Flag
    Liked
    68 times

Prometric, a market-leading company in test development and delivery, is set to launch a new, "more affordable" IT certification, Cyber Security Essentials.

Cyber Security Essentials was developed by Prometric in collaboration with senior IT engineers and subject matter experts who themselves hold IT credentials — such as CISSP, CISA and CEH — and work in Cyber Security, Network Security, Digital Forensics, Computer Hacking Forensic Investigation and Ethical Hacking.

"Cyber Security Essentials provides business and IT professionals a more affordable certification option, created by experts who are practicing the most current cyber security methods in the field.

Article here.

Looking on Prometric's own page, the exam is normally valued at $199.95, however it can be taken for $149.95 with Discount Promo Code: PROCYBER

Not sure how it compares to the more economically priced exam from Microsoft (MTA: Security Fundamentals).

-Ken

2. Posts

Petabyte Poster
    Liked
    87 times
    How does this relate to Security+ ?

Country
    Germany Country Flag
    Liked
    68 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarsh View Post
    How does this relate to Security+ ?
    According to the article:

Prometric recommends Cyber Security Essentials as a replacement for CompTIA exams

Liked
    6 times
    Has anyone done this?

Country
    UK Country Flag
    Liked
    4 times
    Cyber Security Essentials provides business and IT professionals a more affordable certification option...
    I'm not convinced offering better value is a primary factor in the certification market. To any potential certificate candidate, the most important thing will be the recognisability of the qualification to potential employers. Within reason, they would be prepared to invest whatever fee if the value of the examining authority's brand reflects that credentials long term benefits to their career.

Prometric recommends Cyber Security Essentials as a replacement for CompTIA exams...
    So they are targetting CompTIA up to and including Security+, but exactly what makes Prometric a trusted standard in the IT world that warrants competition with CompTIA? A name that has taken decades to establish itself, and is still not that well-known in many parts of the employment world?

I'm not sure I see where the gap in the market was that they felt the need to do this, so I feel this may be more about filling the gap in revenue left behind after Pearson VUE became the sole provider of the CompTIA exams some time ago.