John Lewis uses virtualisation to cut power bill by £2,500 a week

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

John Lewis uses virtualisation to cut power bill by £2,500 a week

The John Lewis Partnership is saving £2,500 a week on power by using server virtualisation at its Bracknell and London datacentres.

The retail group started its virtualisation project in 2006 to reduce the number of servers it required because it was running out of space and power at both datacentres.

But Dave Barker, technical architect in the IT department for John Lewis, told Computer Weekly the project has significantly cut power consumption.

"Although the main business driver was to win time to plan a customised new datacentre to replace our London facility, the power saving fits in nicely our green IT initiative," he said.

Virtulisation allowed the firm to keep pace with business demands for server capacity without rushing into any decisions about setting up a new datacentre.

"We have reduced the overall server count across the two datacentres from 450 to 400 while at the same time provisioning 392 additional servers," said Barker.

This compression rate of around 16:1 has saved John Lewis over £700,000 that would have been spent on new servers to meet business demand.

Read the whole article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.