Thinking of CompTIA, advice appreciated. Also, hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sunnyb, Jul 7, 2014.

1. sunnyb

sunnyb New Member

Hi everyone,

Have read around the forums and looks like a good place for information. Currently looking to pursue a career in support (hardware, networking etc).

Have been applying but have no experience and my degree was in business (graduated two years ago with 2:1). Thing is my degree was only getting me forward for recruitment jobs and I really don't want to do that.

I have a passion for IT, and have been working for a shop that sells PC hardware etc since graduating. Do you think taking a cert will help me? Went through a practice exam for CompTIA A+ and it seems like mostly stuff I already know. I know it's hard for everyone, but will it be extra hard for me with no support experience to find work?

Any help greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

2. Defiled

Defiled New Member

The A+ itself might be useful for the good old 'foot in the door', however if this job of yours has provided you with good experience with computers and shown you the correct precautions to take then you might want to just learn the material of the A+ and skip the exam...

IMO, as of recent I've found the A+ to be quite a joke and only ever useful if you don't have ANY relevant experience what so ever, the only time people take this qualification seriously is when it's required for a job.. A lot of people that seem to get this certificate range in the ages of 15-17 on average (from my experience). Furthermore the material on the exam and the resources seems vastly outdated.. The exam itself is claimed to be based on Windows 7/8, however the resources for the exam are based on Windows XP

My personal opinion would be, to skip the A+ entirely, do the Network+ | Security+ | MCDST | MCSA Windows 8. Those certificates alone would/should provide a good enough foundation for a Desktop\Helpdesk support position.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    WIP: CCNA R&S | Security
  3. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Firstly welcome to the forums.

The A+ is definitely worth having when starting out in IT as it shows potential employers that you can do what you say you can do.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)