Hello Everyone!!!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by vdo4ever, Apr 15, 2014.

1. vdo4ever

vdo4ever New Member

Hi Guys!

My name is Jaime! I'm currently studying for the CompTIA A+ and plan on knocking out the Net+ and Sec+ this summer! I know it won't be easy but if we never set goals, then we will never progress! I'm also enrolled in school and start my Cisco training in August.... FUN FUN FUN!!! Well I know I will read a lot and learn a lot from everyone on here and I hope that I can contribute as much back! Nice to meet everyone!

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF

Before you set out on your quest, have you got any real world experience?? Just that to do all that and then go to an employer may show your keen, but what they would like to see is some form of experience.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. vdo4ever

vdo4ever New Member

Hi Ed! I do have about two years of IT experience (level 1 support) but that was 4 years ago! 😮 However I have kept in touch with technology and don't mind starting from the bottom and working my way up! I feel thirsty to learn more and more.

I hope to get a position soon (Even if it is blowing dust out of old units!) just to get my foot in the door and get crackin'!!!

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well just keep plugging away, id go for the Comptia A+ then the network plus, which is what im going to do. I did the uni route first, but really wish i hadnt. Was your 2 years IT exp in a working capacity or a voluntary one??

Im only asking as im sure that a potential employer will ask the same.

Im lucky where i am at the moment, it took me ages to get my foot in the door, i had to do voluntary work in the education sector, but that came into its own when applying for my current position, and i suppose the degree backed me up to some extent.

My final review is in July, so unless i do something stupid, then im confident of being kept on

All i can say to you is get some voluntary exp behind you as well, that does look good, and you will get a reference from the people you volunteer for. Remember though, exams back up what you know, but exp is the key

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. vdo4ever

vdo4ever New Member

I am also working on the A+. My two years experience were working at a corporate office for a staffing agency. We would do some troubleshooting and repair of old NIC's, some PC configuration, and some troubleshooting over the phone and through remote desktop sessions.

I have called a few places to try and volunteer my time somewhere, but I haven't had any luck with that. There is a position that I applied for that is a Computer Technician Trainee for a school district. It's only 4 hours a day, but I'll take whatever I can get!

Plus I have applied at a slew of other places looking for a help desk technician with at least 1 year experience, but this has only been recent and I haven't heard anything back as of yet.

Any other ideas of where I should look to volunteer?