Network Monitoring Software

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Dazzo, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi All,

I am looking to monitor our network traffic, specifically load on the router and switches including the traffic over the ports. I've thought about using SNMP installed on a linux VM as a base and to monitor from there but I think I require specific software to implement this.

Has anyone had experience doing this? Am I on the right track or am I making it difficult for myself?

Thanks,

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

What type of switches are you using?

We use SNMP fairly extensively for server hardware monitoring combined with GFI Max to give us near instant notification of RAID failures etc, I've never seen it used for traffic monitoring but provided this is something the switches pass across as part of their SNMP data set it could be an option. I'd be interested to hear if you get this running or if anyone else has done something similar.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Few different ones including:
    Dell Powerconnect 7024
    Netgear GSM7324, GS724T and Prosafe M4100-50G

If I can monitor hardware also even better, will check out GFI Max.

Might log into the switches now and see what SNMP options they have if any and also look at the router which is a Cisco RV016.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Another vote for GFI max here...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

I've been trying out one called observium which is a mysql php based system using snmp and fping. Problem is the setup wasn't all that bad on a cent0s 6.5 system but the config info leaves a lot to be desired for the newby!

May try out some of the other notable ones in the field like nagios and cacti if I get chance during the week. Haven't been able to find GFI max for free though, is it opensource or will I need to purchase it?

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster