Gremlins

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Sep 18, 2014.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Would anyone have any ideas why a set of student accounts old and new would deny access to a users mapped drive.

We have them set via a log in script to map like this \\student-server\users\student etc and the path would be to the H drive .

What we are getting is random people being denied access. This can be after a password reset, when they log off etc, there is no definitive set and it is jjust random. The way we remedy this is to fully re image thee pc/laptop, but there has to be a quicker way and a way to understand why we are getting random people having the issue.

Is there a report i could run from AD for each user to give an indication of the issue or would anyone know how to fix the issue without having to re image a computer???

Im new to AD still so please bear with me if im coming across unclear

Thanks for any help

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Do you have the H: drive path set as the users home directory in AD?
    (Under Profile Tab of the user account properties)

3. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Could be a replication issue?
    Users would get access denied when their password expire. Normally logon/logoff refreshes the access tokens, you can always double-check the effective permissions for any folder.

4. zxspectrum

Hey guys

Yes Simon, we map to the H drive. And Nyx, its machine specific as the user can log onto another machine, without any issue.

There was an issue with users not being able to see the drive after a password reset. What we did to remedy that was to copy thee profile path in AD, delete it, then paste it back in.???

Ed

5. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

Check credential manager? Think it doesn't roam by default so would explain why they are ok on other PC's. Is nothing else affected just home share?

6. zxspectrum

Yes Nyx, just home share. Seems to have settled down at the mo, though we did have one again thee other but nothing as bad as it was ???

Cheers

Ed

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ed

As no-one has mentioned it yet I'm going to throw something into the pot.

Profiles

More specifically, local profiles. We used to use windows roaming profiles and it was forever causing us issues, especially when we were migrating from XP to Win7
    First port of call, remove all local profiles from the PC and see if the issue is replicated. If it still is then reset the users roaming profile.

Of course, I could be talking complete b******s

Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. zxspectrum

Cheers AJ, i will try that

I take it i should remove the affected user(s). And i know we are not migrating, we are just imaging, i have seen that problem come up before where they have deleted the profile, but they get the message that they are logged on with a temp profile etc.

Ed

9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Ahh the pleasures of windows profiles. If you are getting a temp profile, the chances are there is an entry in the registry that is stopping the profile being made as there is a .bak entry.

From memory you need to delete the local profile, then goto HKLM\Software\microsoft\Windows NT\current version\profile List. There you can delete the entry that has a .bak extension.

Windows 7 starting with a temporary profile

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. zxspectrum

Its not a temp profile AJ, as they can log on and access resources and browse the net etc, just a mapping issue with getting access to their H drive.

Ed

11. zxspectrum

I thought I would update this issue as well, seeing as we have sussed out why random mappings happen

So yesterday I got stuck into this and I basically spent about 2 hours, mostly uninterrupted, which on the helpdesk is a rare thing.

I have started using event viewer a lot recently mainly because of a previous issue, where the proxy setting were not applying. So I looked in even viewer and found that one this one computer which would let all other users log on with no issue, ie myself , student test account and a staff test account, all would pick up the folders but most importantly the H drive.

In even viewer and only on this one laptop, I saw that folder redirect permissions were blocked, with the access is denied message, which I thought was strange as the same account on exactly the same type of laptop had no issue. So I did a lot of things like making sure the firewall was off, checking AD and a few other things when I decided to search the ID error, in this case a 502. This pointed to be an offline storage issue, so I turned this off through an admin account and rebooted, then we had the mapped drive back which was a bit of a result as this was one of those random niggling issues that we really don't get to deal with as we support a lot of users and we are a small team.

So as we need the laptops to be used on the wireless network for the exams, this had to be switched back on, and yes that meant the H drive was blocked again. Our work around is to reimage the machine which is hitting a nail with a sledgehammer in my opinion, but I suppose it gets the job done.

One more thing, when this drive maps it goes to student\user, there is also a different mapping student\user1, not I could access the latter but not the first in offline storage, I got access is denied, so there is an issue for some reason in that first set of accounts as I'm sure all the other users who had this random issue we mapped with the student\user and not student\user1 etc.

Still a work in progress but overall its progress

Ed