Networkl + in a month.....

Discussion in 'Network+' started by paulwatson5, Nov 3, 2014.

1. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

I've had the Network + hanging over my head for about 2.5 years and keep being distracted (kids, house move etc) and never sat the exam.
    My A+ expires in early December so im looking to book the exam a few days before that expires and looking to CRAM for the next 4 weeks!!

In practice exams im getting about 70% so im not too far off, just need to go through my revision notes.

Does anyone have any tips for me during my final cram?

Is this a viable option or would you suggest that i let the A+ expire and take my time with the exam (not another 2.5 years though....)

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  2. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I'd go for it. If you've had A+ for a while and been working in IT, and you're getting ~70% in the tests you should absolutely go for it. On a scale 100-900, you need 720, which I make as 77.5%.
    You'd be borderline to pass it today. With a month of cramming you should fly it. Professor Messer's videos for N+ amount to about 15 hours. With a blast in the morning and a blast before bed, you could cover the essentials in a week or so. That gives you loads of time to cram your notes, play around with subnetting questions, and get your protocols and ports straight.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  3. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
    I'm doing it!!
    Was at the gym until late last night but starting today, downloaded the app so i can cram and practice questions while on the commute to work (2 x 30 min train), 30 mins on lunch and then going to get in a couple of hours every night on the prof mess vid's.
    I dont like learning by reading, i much prefer the video's so thats a great resource!!

Now i just need to prove that i CAN do it.

4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

good luck Paul, let us know how you get on... i'm in a similar position as my A+ expires in April 2015, so i'm looking to start soon also due to having too many distractions over the last 2 and a bit years

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Thanks shadowwebs, i see your having a few problems with subnetting also....
    Do you want to see if we can crack it together? If you PM me i could give you my email and we can have a chat about it and see if we can understand it by bouning ideas?

6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Good luck to you both. If you want confirmation on your ideas about subnetting or anything like that, post it. I'll aim to check in a few times a week, and I'll do my best to help. I always find trying to explain things to be a really good way to consolidate my own understanding.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
  7. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

I won't ask...

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No update then? :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Ooopps I didnt even realise someone had posted after me, so i've PM'd him now to see how the geordie got on

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  10. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Apologies for the delay in getting back here to post.
    As you may guess i didnt take the exam so my A+ has now expired.
    Had a horrible horrible family issue to deal with so everything was put on hold sadly.

I do aim to take the Network + in the future but as i have a 5 year old son and now a 10 week old baby girl, i dont get much free time at present.

Now that i dont have a deadline i feel that i can learn at my own pace and pickup when i know im ready.

I'm currently trying to learn linux (Debain and CentOS) and will soon be deploying these OS's on my home network to enhance learning and add another string to the bow.

I'll update more regular from now on.

Thanks for the help!