Windows XP installation issues

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by BraderzTheDog, Mar 26, 2013.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Was wondering if you can shed some light on this one.

I have this HP mini 110 3700 netbook, and its pretty borderline Windows 7, however it came with this imaged on form the Manufacturer. Needless to say when I actually do anything on it its really slow. :(

So I'm in the process of flattening the OS and putting XP on it, since it doesn't have a CD drive I've made XP bootable via USB.

This seems to be causing me problems when I come to format the drives in Windows XP install... The only drive that appears is the USB drive im booting off?

I've done a bit of a google and found an article that says the issue could be down to XP not having the sata drivers to locate my hard drive. The way to fix the problem is to slipstream the driver into the XP installation using Nlite.

Does this sound right? The image I have is meant to have sata drivers included in it. I'm slightly confused, anyone else had the same issue?

I'm going to try booting from a USB CD drive later to see if this resolves the problem.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If you have a free USB port and a USB floppy drive, you could also copy the driver to a floppy and see if you can choose the option to introduce third party drivers at the start of the installation.

Also, make sure you have the latest Service Pack slipstreamed to the XP image, the HDD could be too large or indeed, you're lacking some drive compatibility driver (SATA, AHCI, RAID... ?) that comes with SP3 and allows the disk to be 'seen'.

Failing that, sometimes a simple change in the BIOS can make the disk visible (was the case when trying to install W7 RTM to my Dell M6500 and running AHCI mode in the BIOS... changing that to RAID magically made the disk appear. Otherwise it was time to take out the AHCI drivers).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

You can also do it by pressing F6(i think) when installing xp and choosing additional drivers. This driver i would usually stick on a floppy and copy it from there, so may work from USB aswell. If you still have win7 installed go to comp manager and look for ide ata/atapi controllers and in here it should show the driver you need ie Intel(r) 5 series 6 port Sata ahci controller

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

The image I'm booting from is XP pro SP3.

Hmm floppy, well I don't even think I have a floppy drive, I might see if I have a USB CD drive, and I'll take a look at adjusting the BIOS settings.

I do have Windows 7 still installed, under device manager it shows for 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' Standard AHCI1.0 Serial ATA Controller. (looks very generic to me :/)

I'll keep having a play around and see what I can find, any other ideas?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Bios is basic too, not much that I can change apart from boot options and admin password!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  5. djdoc1975

djdoc1975 New Member

did you get this sorted? I've had issues installing xp on netbooks, easiest way I've found is to put the hdd in another machine and install it that way, just make sure you get the network drivers to complete the install once the hdd is back in the netbook.