Back to in-house IT?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Many of us move from working as the only IT guy\gal in a company to working for an IT company providing outsourced support\consultancy etc.etc. This can be a good move as it usual presents opportunities to work with new technologies and working on various projects.

Anyways has anyone made the move *back* to in-house IT – either to a senior tech or in a management role? Just wondering as my work load is getting out of control and was thinking about a change so I get some free time! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We are still "in-house" and the work load just keeps growing :/

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Sparky

True - I didnt mean it would be easier in-house but at least you don't have to answer to customers! :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I think it depends on whether you are doing consultancy/support for multiple companies, like I think you do Sparky, or whether you do that for a single company like I do - unless the pooh hits the fan, most people essentially do a standard week. We're still accountable to a customer, but at least its only one albeit a very big one!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. Sparky

I provide consultancy for 70 companies day to day. Many of them are finally upgrading networks so I’m doing that as well – it’s getting to the point where I’m working every night just to keep on top of things.

It’s good that the £££ is rolling in for the company (tough times for everyone just now) but it is getting to the point where the amount of work is just not sustainable.

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A work - life balance is always a hard thing to get right and when your stuck at the far end of one of them the other always gets neglected. It sounds like that's the case and you want to change it, would talking to your boss in the company make any difference? It sounds like its not the job but the fact you have no personal time left in your day. That is no way to live really is it unless your bringing home the mega bucks and that's what makes you happy, the same happened to me and in the end I realised that we only have one shot a life and if something is not working right for you. Fix it the best way you can!

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Life and work load balance is very important mate and hope you sort this out soon. Well as true as the saying is we work to live not live to work:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

As Si suggested, what about just talking to your boss (if it is just a work - life balance issue)? Maybe an extra pair of hands to lighten the load will allow you to continue in the job, but free up that much needed personal time!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP