Keep a check on your bandwidth use

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by UKDarkstar, Nov 10, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

The excellent Thinkbroadband site have launched a new tool called tbbMeter which helps you to measure the performance of your broadband connections and avoid excess bandwidth charges or being subjected to caps or limits on your broadband connection.

You can read about it and download it here

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Looks like a good tool, thanks for the link I'll download when I get home.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

same with net limiter

4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Excellent tool. Now I have to really know if actually these providers practise what they preach

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

That looks good... assuming that the only device drawing bandwidth is the pc you have it installed on.

Utterly useless for someone like me who has 2 pc's, and xbox, a wii, a server, etc on the network, all accessing the internet.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well it is new and in development. You could always point out your setup to them for future updates.

Guess you just can't please all of the people all of the time :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Fergal1982

Its one of those problems with a software based monitoring system. It can only ever really monitor the traffic going through that machine. Great if you have a proxy that all your traffic goes through though I suppose.

Its horses for courses though really. It looks pretty good for the setup I indicated. Less so for more complex setups.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the find, would have a go at installing soon:).

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

They say...

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Fergal1982

I'm guessing that that probably means that you still have to install it on them all, you can just send all the data to one master PC. After all, correct me if im wrong, but a switch wouldnt allow the host machine to see all the traffic?

Who knows though, will just have to wait and see what they say when it comes out.

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I use PRTG - it rules. I've also used it at pretty much every placed I've worked in the last four/five years or so to monitor switch ports and router/firewall traffic - invaluable if you've ever been in the situation where you need to provide management reports on WAN/LAN usage in a 'prettier' format than the bog standard MRTG format.

Fergal - it would be ideal for you - its SNMP-based and is a doddle to configure - provided you've got a managed switch it rules!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em