Video card problem.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brizzoluk, Mar 22, 2010.

1. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi
    I have been having display troubles recently as in, i would boot up my pc and i would see the windows loading screen but with a load of fuzzy lines across the screen.
    On rebooting the problem would be gone, but today i booted up and had no display at all!
    I turned the pc off and used the other port on my video card and i have a display now but the picture isnt right.
    It looks almost like the brightness is turned up too high so i cant see things like the menu button outlines?

The drivers are up to date and its not showing any problems in device manager so im thinking my video card is knackered which im a bit annoyed about as its only 18 months old!!
    Specs are as follows.

Windows xp professional
    Asus P5Q-E mobo
    ATI Radeon 3650 video card
    corsair vx 450w psu.

Any help appreciated.

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Try another cable

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. brizzoluk

I know its not the cable as i have connected the monitor to another pc using the same cable and it is fine.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Download gpu-z and tell us what it says for the temps.

Also is the fan working on the card? I have seen a few issue like this lately and it turned out on most that the card was overheating due to dust or inactive fan,

This issue can also be cause by having an underpowered system (a underpowered psu can power a system for a long time then it starts to destroy other hardware), what is the make and model of your psu?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Get a can of compressed air and blow the fan through with it, actually do the same with all the fans in the system as they are usually the first things to slowdown and reduce optimal cooling.

I have to admit that it's sounds like an overheating card issue to me.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. brizzoluk

I have run gpu-z and it is reading my GPU temp at 42 degrees is that about what it should be?

My card doesnt have a fan on it but houses a heat sink the same size as the card.
    I regularly clean out my case including blowing the dust out of the fans/heatsinks.

My psu is a corsair vx 450w.

7. greenbrucelee

So you have a passive cooled card. In my experience they always overheat when pushed.

8. brizzoluk

So basically i have killed it!

Where do you think i would stand if i contacted overclockers and told them its knackered considering its only 18 months old?

9. greenbrucelee

you need to establish wether that is the problem.

see if you an borrow another card to try, also go into your bios and post the voltages of the power supply and see what they are.

10. greenbrucelee

do you have the current drivers installed for the card?

try deleting them and then reinstalling them from the card manufacturers website i.e ATi

11. brizzoluk

Yes the drivers are up to date i will try reinstalling them later.

12. brizzoluk

Ok good news!!

I installed a known good card and it worked fine, i then checked the voltages and they were as follows.

In Bios
    +5 = 5.01v
    +12v = 12.15v
    +3.3 = 3.26v

Using multimeter
    +5 = 5.01v
    +12 = 12.24v
    +3.3 = 3.31v

That all looks fine to me?

So i reinstalled the original video card and hey presto, it is now working fine!

So im guessing the drivers got corrupted somehow?
    Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated :biggrin

13. greenbrucelee

yep voltages are within acceptable tolerance levels.

Must have been corrupted driver issues. When installing new drivers you should always delete the old ones. If you do not do this sometimes it can screw things up. I always use ccleaner after deleting drivers before I install the new ones.

14. brizzoluk

Yes i did uninstall the old ones before installing new ones, it must be sinking in what im studying :biggrin
    I didnt use ccleaner but i do run it pretty regularly to keep my system clean.
    I dont know why i didnt think of reinstalling the drivers in the first place, it seems like an obvious thing to do now, but hey it was a good practical lesson for me.

Thanks again.