Graphics card PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arunram, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

Hello ,
    My system specs are as follows

2GB RAM
    250GB HDD
    INTEL 945GCNL

RECENTLY I HAVE INSTALLED 1GB NVIDIA 9500GT GRAPHICS CARD..AFTER INSTALLING IT MY SYSTEM SEEMS TO BE SLOW..IF I ENTER BIOS ITS TOO SLOW..ANY BIOS SETTING TO BE DONE FOR USING THIS EFFECTIVELY?

WILL ADDING GRAPHICS CARD AFFECT SYSTEM'S PERFORMANCE BY TAKING UP MORE RAM? PLEASE HELP ME ASAP...

CHEERS!!!!!

Certifications: MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

STOP SHOUTING AND START USING GOOGLE!!!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Ouch!!! Glad you never jumped on my gfx post, Zeb :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

PLEASE DO NOT SHOUT, it puts people off answering your questions as it is poor etiquette.

Anyway... There could be several issues:

1. Not enough virtual memory (in windows)
    2. Incorrect/old graphic card drivers installed (in windows)
    3. BIOS settings incorrect for GC, eg fast writes, Video BIOS Caching
    4. Not enough power going to the GC
    5. It may even be a faulty GC
    6. Your BIOS may need updating to the latest version

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what band and what wattage is your psu?

you need atleast Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply. Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amp Amps. plus you need to take into account all your other hardware inside you comp so if you are running this minum spec for the PSU then this why your computer might struggle.

If I were to advise you on what watt PSU you should get then I would say atleast 550w and if your going to be gaming and or overclocking then atleast 650w minum with a good brand PSU like Corsair TH series or Seasonic any version.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

game is working fine but the system seems to be slower than before...could u please help me in setting up bios?

7. Kitkatninja

First of all have you made sure points 1, 2 & 4 have been checked and made sure that they are up to date?

Second of all, have you entered the BIOS already and reset it back to factory default, then logged back into Windows to test that?

Third of all, have you made sure that you're motherboard has the latest updates?

Before you go changing settings and considering it's a new GC, just make sure that you've covered all the bases first.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. greenbrucelee

if you need to flash the bios then you go to the manufacturer of you motherboards website download the lastest bios revision onto a flash drive then go into the bios and flash from the pen drive but I don't think this is your problem.

Did you read my post?

9. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

Shall i run compliance test pattern?

10. Kitkatninja

If you really want to, I guess. Have you done what GBL & myself have already suggested?

-Ken

11. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

While Booting Its Showing Geforce Nvidia Bios 1024mb Ram....how To Check The Power Supllies?

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Is that you Kobem?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. greenbrucelee

how do you check a power supply.

Well first you open the case and look at the power supply, it should have a big sticker on it that says what watt it is, if its less than what I said in my previous post you need a new one.

If it is the same or more than what I said then I would suggest getting a multimeter, you use the multimeter by sticking the two probes in the positive and negative part on the ATX connector when its plugged in to the mobo. if you get a crap reading then the PSU is knackered.

PS it is supposed to say things like Nvidia Bios 1024 RAM etc etc this is called POST this occurs before Windows boots.

14. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

This feels like the Turing test. Not entirely sure which side is failing...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  15. Arunram

Arunram Byte Poster

i opened the case and i was shocked to see that my cpu fan was not running ...if we install a graphics card...will it stop the processor fan?...pl help....

100w 3.3v..power ratings

16. greenbrucelee

Right I am going to explain again

If your power supply is not very powerful when you put in the graphics card which requires alot of power it will draw power away from other things like your cpu fan and from other parts of the computer this could explain why it is running slowly and is getting too hot.

Try taking the graphics card out and see if the cpu fan starts working if it does YOU NEED A MORE POWERFUL PSU.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

There comes a time, when a person simply doesn't have enough knowledge to be trying to fault find something like this.

The figures you have given us, bear little resemblance to what was asked for. An ATX power supply has many output voltages, not just 3.3V so thats irrelevant. You were asked for the total power rating.

I have yet to see an ATX PSU with a power rating as low as 100W. I doubt that baby could power a Sinclair Spectrum :rolleyes:

I would strongly urge you not to continue to use the computer if the CPU fan isn't spinning at all. Bear in mind, some motherboards only turn the fan on when the CPU reaches a certain temperature. which could take a minute or two. CPUs get very hot, very quickly and if they are not cooled properly, will literally cook themselves.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)