Microsoft Certified Noob Help!?!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by MnazirKhan, May 18, 2014.

1. MnazirKhan

MnazirKhan New Member

Hey guys im just starting off my I.T path and i really need some genuine advice as its time for me to put a foot down on my life. Im a utter noob and have no idea where to even start. Heres my ultimate goals. I would most definitely like to be involved with the cloud side of i.t and after having a look i saw there is a cloud based certification i can gain through microsoft however, where should i start from ? i have a good understanding of pc's i been building computers since i was kid and i have studied computer science at university.

whats the best certification to start off on? and how would i eventually gain a Microsoft cloud based certificate? thanks guys any help would be much appreciated.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Please have a look here - http://www.certforums.com/forums/training-development/49085-entry-level-certifications-beyond.html to give you a better idea of what's out there.

I will tell you that with no IT experience trying to go straight in to Cloud is in my opinion a waste of time because you need some decent sys admin experience to back it up first.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. MnazirKhan

MnazirKhan New Member

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Looking at what you just sent me i would like to head towards a msca/e but im guessing i should start with mcts? once again thanks for the help

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

If you are a noob, you should start with the A+

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Someone with a decent computer science degree is not a noob. However I agree with Simon, forget cloud until you have a job in IT.

6. sgaspa

sgaspa New Member

Excuse me while I thread mooch. I'm also a noob, but do not have any real IT experience (IC3 cert in '10). I recently graduated with a degree in business management and would like to go into Business Intelligence (project management, sales, set-up.. I would probably have more knowledgeable techs on my team). What I'd like to know is, should I dive into the MCTS (BI 2008, 70-448) like one article suggests or should I get certified in something before that (Querying Microsoft 2012, 70-461) or (MTA). I've read blogs and threads and have found that people have contrasting opinions on the matter. I hesitate to consider the MTA because, from what I hear, you can only get the MTA while in school, so I would have to re-enroll if I went down that path. It's either this or do steroids and get a personal training cert, so any advice would be welcomed. Also, is the 70-448 (BI 2008) something I should still be considering seeing how it's 2014? From what I understand this is the foundation of any Business Intelligence path, so it's still relevant. Thanks in advance for your time. Live long and prosper -SG

Update: After reading a scholarly review on the MTA and CompTIA, I am thinking the MTA is the way to go... it looks like CompTIA or "A+" is on the MCTS level which people usually go for after a bit of college coursework. Feel free to confirm this or respond to the question about the 70-448's relevancy.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  7. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

As a first experience, the MTA is a fairly good one to go for.

It is a similar level to the A+ but is a lot shorter and is only focussed on Microsoft technologies. The A+ is a good entry level cert - the hardest thing about it is its breadth rather than depth. It doesn't expect much detail on anything, but it does expect a little knowledge of just about everything in IT. This is why a lot of people consider it a good foundation for just about anything tech.
    A+ was my first certification - you can do it if you're motivated - I trained myself using Mike Meyer's book and an old PC I picked up on the cheap.

Personally, I'd consider the MTA an easier starting point, and fairly good for improving a CV as it gets Microsoft on your CV (which many job agents are obsessed about!) That said, I'd hire an A+ over a MTA any day.

Just to muddy the waters a little more: have you looked at the CompTIA Strata? These are basically A+ lite!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?