MCITP or what?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by gerarddag, Feb 18, 2009.

1. gerarddag

gerarddag New Member

Ok guys I know there is a lot of topics about the MCSE 2003 VS MCITP,
    I was on the track for MCSE 2k but didn’t finish the exams due to a job offer in Africa, but now I want to get certificate, should I go with the MCSE 2003 or MCITP?
    The reason I ask is when I contacted the learning center they advice me to get the MCITP.
    I’ll be taking the fast track (12 days).
    I have another job offer and don’t have much time.
    Should I tack the MCSE 2003 then upgrade to MCITP?
    Considering that the MCSE 2003 will never expire and the MCITP will, as mentioned on the Microsoft web site.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/newgen/lifecycle/default.mspx

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why don't you introduce yourself here and be part of this community :)

As for what route and what level, you don't state what you currently work with (I'm assuming that you work in IT at level 3 - adminstering servers, designing networks, etc). Me personally I would recommend studying for the technology that you work with, especially since bootcamps are very intensive and fast paced.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, most learning centers have no idea what employers want.

Like Ken, I would recommend that you certify on what you have experience using.

If you have experience with both, I'd recommend pursuing the MCSE on 2003. Companies aren't going to automagically stop needing techs to administer Server 2003 just because Server 2008 has been released! Few companies have migrated to Server 2008, and those that have still implement Server 2003 to some degree. In fact, some still use Windows 2000 Server!

Further, having the MCSE on 2003 makes it look like you've "been around longer" than some newb who has just gotten his MCITP on 2008.

Finally, you can always upgrade your certifications from 2003 to 2008... but you can't similarly "downgrade" your certs from 2008 to 2003.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Surely not a big deal?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. gerarddag

gerarddag New Member

I was decided on the MCSE 2003 but the representative talked me into the MCITP saying it's basiclly the one i should look at for now and the days of 2003 is over.
    I think I’ll take the 2003 then upgrade to MCITP when it’s needed.

6. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Yes, good idea. Its what I'm doing.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  7. BosonMichael

Then the representative has no clue about IT, because the days of 2003 are still here, and will continue to be here for years to come.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

It's probably why they are a representative and not an IT professional. I am going for the MCSE 2003 then will upgrade stuff from there. No point doing the newer stuff i have never even come across it yet and won't for a good while yet.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  9. gerarddag

gerarddag New Member

Thanks guys for the support, now I’m sure I’m tacking the right track.

10. Spottek Steven

Spottek Steven New Member

Microsoft 'Certified' anything is only good for Microsoft work
    For anything else it might even be considered a liability! :)

In Canada, go for I.S.P. at www.cips.ca
    In U.K. go for MBCS CITP at http://www.bcs.org/server.php?show=nav.9214
    In the U.S., it seems, anything goes?

Certifications: ISP, ITCP, CNP, IEng, MIED, MBCS CITP
    WIP: MSc IS
  11. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi, why not introduce yourself here and be a part of this community :)

As for the US, the equivalent there to the ISP and CITP is the CNP from the NPA.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. BosonMichael

Eh? I disagree, wholeheartedly.

13. Spottek Steven

Microsoft has a long history of deliberately circumventing, or attempting to undermine, industry standards, among other well documented 'crimes' against the software industry. :dry
    Microsoft, for instance, has no authority to 'certify' anybody as an 'engineer'. :x

If you don't want to be tagged with a Microsoft badge, go for a professional status.
    CIPS (in Canada) offers I.S.P.,
    BCS (in UK) offers MBCS & CITP, and as wagnerk pointed out,
    NPA (in U.S) offers CNP.

A Microsoft Certified IT professional is no more valid than a Microsoft Certified Software Engineer.
    It is a Microsoft certification - no more - no less.

I do not mean to suggest that vendor-specific 'certifications' are worthless - especially for those who only want to work with a specific vendor's products.

Anyone know a Nortel Certified Linesman? :biggrin

14. Spottek Steven

15. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

MS certs hold a big value in my company.

I've seen people held back (yours truly) because they do not have MS certification.

Many in the industry feel that if "I have to get the MCSE, then you should too" in order to get a promotion.

The cert itself can be worthless and you may never use the knowledge gained from it, but it is a right of passage so to speak.

A lot of people in Human Resources are clueless about the certs but they have heard of MS and that would look good on your resume (CV?) for the purpose of at least geting an interview.

Can someone PM me the definition of the CV? I am sure it like a resume here in the states, but it sounds more offical - just curious.

I am very thankful for MS certs as they have added value to my career.

I would recommend the W2K3 track as the economy should prevent 2008 from taking over for some time and who knows, 2008 maybe the Vista of the Server world and never truly get adopted making the 2008 undervalued IMHO.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  16. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Do some people just like to fish the MS forums so they can go on a rant against MS?

Seriously?

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  17. Crito

Crito Banned

I've never heard of the NPA or the CNP before, so I kind of doubt it would be worth pursuing.

MCSE is a lifetime cert too. So even if you change fields and become, say, a physicist for the next 10 years, you'll still have sometime of value from your previous life in IT.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  18. Spottek Steven

That is one of the issues with MS, and similar, 'certifications'.
    Many, if not most, professional certifications require periodic proof that you are still working in the field or continuing studies in the field, or both. I.E. "Current' or 'keeping up to date', 'practising'.
    An MS, or similar, 'certification' only shows that you were able to pass an exam - once.
    Such a 'certificate' is still valid for what it is - proof that you once passed the required exam(s).
    CompTIA 'certificates' are similar.
    There is nothing wrong with acquiring a few more feathers in your head-dress.
    I do it too. It is good to keep the brain alive. It is good to add credibility to one's CV.
    An MS, or similar, 'certification' is proof of learning and that is good.
    Microsoft has no authority to 'certify' anybody as an 'engineer'.

My sensitivity on this issue comes from the resistance of Canadian engineering bodies to grant P.Eng (Professional Engineer) title to anyone who does not possess a Canadian accredited Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.
    I have one of the subset of HNCs that is considered acceptable (roughly equivalent) to a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, for professional engineer registration, in the U.K. See: this CAPE article.
    That is why I went for CIPS I.S.P. and am now doing my MScIS through Athabasca U. (See here)

19. BosonMichael

Ah, you're one of THOSE people... oh, yes, I see, you have that clever little IEng after your name. No wonder you're offended... because nobody else really cares about the distinction. :rolleyes:

...which few, if any, IT employers have even heard of.

If you'd like to rant, you should really start your own thread than hijack someone elses... certainly an Engineer of your credentials would know proper forum etiquette...

20. BobbyD

BobbyD New Member

I was looking at going straight for MCITP 2008, but after reading this am going to seriously consider 2003.

At our company (huge corporate) the implementation standard is still.......Windows 2003 Server.

So thanks for the initial clarification on my thoughts....

:thumbleft

Bobby D