Your studying tips...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Gavin cass, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Gavin cass

Gavin cass Bit Poster

Just intrested in how long people are spending studying for their exams, and any tips you may have?

studying 70-270 and have drawn up a timetable that i try to stick to, and i do around 16 hours study each week, nearly ready for this exam.

I started off studying this exam with a badly written book, then went out and purchased another and finding it so much easier now.
    Also use virtual pc and an old sever at work which i have set up to practice on, although sometimes i find you can spend many hours tinkering with equipment and not acheiving any real study:blink

Certifications: NVQ computers & Electronics; 70-270
    WIP: MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Until I completely understand the concepts. Might be several months... might be 10 minutes. It all depends on what I'm already experienced with.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

If its on something that I'm already fairly familiar with then I tend to do a mock exam straight away for 3 reasons.

1) It shows me the key areas I need to work on

2) I'm very cocky and it shows me realistically that I need to do lots more study

3) I find once I've done a practice test it will fire me up to learn more. As often I'll read a question and think "that would be really useful to know" which then gets me reading the books with more enthusiasm and zest

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I read and re-read until I know the subject matter, I also practice what I have learned if at all possible. When going through the book a second time I highlight points which I feel are important for me to revise on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

...then the third time I'll make notes in a notebook. Helps me drill the material into my nogin. :blink

6. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I usually study anywhere from 8-10 hours a day.

But then again, I now help manage over 54,000 users. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  7. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

While reading through the book I am taking notes on information I feel is relevant. Although I tend to write long-winded notes to help it sink in. I have been studying for a fair while now (ordered my MS Press book in July 07). I could only get some part time study in while working and it had been slow going. Fortunately, I have quit my old job and am now studying full time which is really helping me.

To help me keep on track I am keeping track of my progress in goalmigo taking note of how many hours of study I get in per day. I am just a few chapters shy of the end of the book then it will be into plenty of revision and practice exams. I ordered some TrainSignal CBT videos which have been quite good, plus I have a trial version of 2k3 R2 set up on a test box and I use my laptop as the XP Pro client to test with. :onthePC

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+
  8. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

tips: mix it up books, videos, websites.VMWare

I tend to get stale if I spent to much time on one subject, And end up humping from one to another this is not good learning as each time I have to got over bits have read before. :oops:

Best to work on one subject crack it then move on to next .)
    a bit do as I say not as I do

thanks oztrailrider have wondered how much time I spent on each exam: goalmigo

9. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Some good advice here!

I find that if I can get a couple of hours first thing in the morning I can keep my study objectives on track.

Then of course my lunch break helps also.

I general do the study and lab based stuff at work because I have better resources here.

The reading and review stuff I do at home because that doesnot make much noise when the kids are finally asleep.

Finally I used testing exams in the final stages to identify weaknesses - as over reliance during actual training means that a candidate does not learn properly.

The sig says the rest!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff