Choose : MCSE 2003 OR MCITP 2008 ???

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by adeelmpk, Feb 23, 2008.

1. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

I am going to start certification, but quite confused whether I should follow the track for MCSE 2003 or MCITP 2008 with : Enterprise administrator. My background, working as 1st/2nd line support in large organisation using windows 2000 & 2003 mixed mode environment, 90 % workstations using XP and few on Vista. I have good hands on experience on technical support with windows cleints & servers.

Second question is which exams should be done first to acheive better results as I would prefer to take windows XP cleint exam 70-270 first rather than doing a win 2003 server exam 70-290, if I plan to go for MCSE 2003, am I right ?

Many thanks to those who keep forums like this running as it simply makes world a better place to live & work.

WIP: MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Considering Windows Server 2008 hasn't been released yet, and most companies will continue to use Windows Server 2003 for years to come (some companies still use Windows 2000!), the answer is pretty clear: the 2003 certifications are your best bet.

I would recommend the client exam before any others, if for no other reason than it'll help get your feet wet for what's to come.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well,
    I would personally suggest the 2k3 MCSE if you want to do one of those two

at least first

here are my reasons, some you may all feel are silly, but we shall see
    firstly, 2k3 will be around for a LONG time, its a rock solid OS and that means that the age old 'aint broke dont fix it' rules apply, it aint broke, so it wont be going anywhere

the 2k exams are only just being retired, in 2k8! so you have plenty of time to get 2k3 sorted

the 2k3 MCSE is the last to bear the title MCSE, now this may sound stupid, but so are recruiters, and I think the MCSE will remain a big buzz word for a long time, try explain the difference to a recruiter and see how far it gets you!

You can upgrade in a few exams anyway,

ultimately its up to you, I took a solid aim last year to get 2k3 done, even though 2k8 was already in beta, and the upgrades will follow

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

Thanks, Shall I start with XP client exam or Vista ?

5. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

Thanks for replying, I agree with you and have decided to start with MCSE 2003. Are MS Press books any good for prepration ? or you think of any other press or CBT's etc ?

6. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

I won't spend much time preparing for 70-270 exam as I consider myself quite professional on windows XP. But any prepration advice will be much appreciated. thanks.

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I find the MS Press books very dry and lacking in enough detail.. my preference was for Sybex, though i havent studied for any 2K3 related exams.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Don't underestimate the complexity of Microsoft exams.. i do agree the XP client exam will be a lot easier than those that follow, but it will still expect you to know some of the lesser used features inside out.

9. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

I completely agree with you, so If I go through sybex text book to prepare for exam, will it prepare me enough to take exam ?

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It might.. i havent read that or taken that specific exam. Personally i use a good book or two, i read all the related white papers and RFCs, i trawl through Microsoft's Technet and KB articles, i use Cramsessions PDFs to keep refreshing the main concepts and exam topics so i stay focused on the *objectives* and then round it all off by doing the related Transcender and using that to highlight my weak areas. Then, when i am happy that i know things inside and out, i book the exam.

11. BosonMichael

Considering the answer I gave regarding which server exam you should take... if I told you that most companies use Windows XP, which exam would you think I'd recommend? :)

That said, I'd make more money if you took the Vista exam and studied for it with the Sybex book. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with what's been said already about doing the 2k3 route first and then upgrade to the 2k8 path at a later date.

However my own personal view is since you're level 1/2 support I would aim for the MCSA and then the MCITP: SA first. Then once you start doing level 3 support, then go for the MCSE & MCITP: EA certs.

As for which client exam to go for, if you're not going to do the MCDST, why don't you do both the 70-270 (XP) & the 70-620 (Vista). As the MCSA needs a core client exam (XP) and the elective can be the Vista client exam. See here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. adeelmpk

adeelmpk Bit Poster

Many thanks, i feel myself in better position to start now. would you please recommend me a study pattern and which course material I must follow, I will be self studying unless the need arises to join an institution. Plus I have a full time job to keep with so I guess I will be able to spare 2-3 hours a day.

14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

It came out officially last week BM. Well to SA customers and I guess other types of volume license agreement customers also. We downloaded it, but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  15. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally I would study the client exams first, then the server and then Network one (70-291) followed by the elective (if it isn't the Vista client one). However if you have the A+ & Network+ or the MCDST (or going to do them), then I'd recommend you do those first.

If you can play around with the server and a couple of clients in a test lab (real machines) that's great, even better if you can work with it in a live environment under the supervision of the IT Admins/IT engineers to see how different setting affect the domain (this would come under on-the-job-training) but don't hold your breath of this one. Last but not least you can always play around with multiple virtual PC's on 1 big beefy PC.

As for study material (not including experience plus the above), I personally would not rely on 1 study material only. Whenever I study for an exam I use at least 1 book (2 preferable, usually from either MSPress, Sybex, Syngress, examcram), a CBT program (from: Learnkey, CBTNuggets, Trainsignal, etc), practice exam sim (from either: Transcender or Preplogic, will be trying Boson soon) and then some cramsheets from Cramsession or Transcender.

On the odd occasion I do attend class-led courses, but that is far and few between now-a-days (I did the MCSA 2000 module class-led, but I didn't just depend on those classes). It does depend on you and how you study.

-ken

p.s. one more thing to mention that there are several ways to study, what may work for one person may work for another in the same way.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I would buy the MS Press book and go over the areas that you don’t know. Even though I had supported XP for years I still picked up a few things from this exam such as using a RIS server and sysprep. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. BosonMichael

But not to most customers. And even if it had been, they aren't going to magically adopt it that very week. :D You won't likely see wholesale movement towards any OS without careful planning and - above all else - time.

18. marii

marii New Member

I am also interested in getting MCSE. I heard 08 is coming [or is here] and was not sure if getting 03 would be a waste of time. But after reading this thread... I made my descision, 03 it is.

Certifications: None
  19. BosonMichael

Glad you got use out of the thread! I think you've made a good decision. :)