Which path to take.....

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Tully, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Tully

Tully Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I am recently been thinking about joining one of these computer training companies like Advent to help me get some certifications as I feel I am really lacking any sort of techincal knowldge.

The course with Advent costs £5k, in which they say that after I have gained my MCP, they will find me a position within an IT firm, and the course will eventually lead onto the MCDBA certification. Not being in a very strong financial postion, I would like some feedback from u guys whether this is the right path to go down? or is any other alternatives for me? can they MCP be done in my own time without any special training?

The reason I was considering this is that I would really like some certifications within a year so that I can apply for the kind of jobs that I would like.

Any adive would be appreciated

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Forget about paying advent £5k, buy some books and go down the self study route. Training providers in the past have lured people to part with their money with the promise of them finding you a job, don't believe them.

Have you have had any IT experience in the past? If not, go for the A+ first, do not rush yourself it will only lead to frustration and heartache.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Tully

Tully Bit Poster

well thats the problem.....even tho i've done a Master in MIT, i have zero IT skills :( no networking, no database, no anything skills.

And this is really preventing me even getting a entry level IT job.

That is why I thought going to a training provider.

4. ciscopaul

ciscopaul Bit Poster

Hi,

£5k is a bit steep but I'm wondering what job they are guaranteeing and at what salary? Are they going to put that in writing?

I'm afraid everyone is in the same boat who wants to get into IT, even when you get the cert you still have very little hands on experience but without it you are in a worse position.

You can get plenty of advice on the forums but at the end of the day you have to do what you think is best. I would speak to recruitment agents about getting a helpdesk role, preferably as a freelancer. There are plenty of those around since there is a high turnover. Aim to get a cert and then a 3 month contract with companies such as BT or a local ISP. Shouldn't be too hard if you are available for an immediate start.

There are plenty of roles out there but you are going to have to polish up your CV, stress whatever IT skills you have and be prepared to have a lot of interviews. I see plenty of people cross over into IT with even less than you have so it is perfectly possible to do.

Best of luck.

Paul Browning

http://www.howtonetwork.net

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Tully, if you've gone through a master's program at MIT, I'm sure you could pick up a couple of books, set up a test PC and teach yourself basic Microsoft Windows support and admin skills. I also agree that no one can guarantee you a job unless the school is also the employer. No matter what you do, the task of finding a job sits squarely on your shoulders.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree with the other guys... £5k is way too much and, regardless of what any company tells you, there are no guarantees of employment at the end of a course. If there were, everyone looking for that first step on the IT ladder would be doing the same course...

As has been said so many times on this forum, start small... go for A+ and then Network +, develop the skills and, while doing that, keep looking for the job.

Oh, and all the best... :)

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications alone won't give you "the kind of jobs you would like". That comes with time and experience.

You can get certifications and get started right away! Study for the A+ and Network+. While you're studying, start looking for entry-level jobs TODAY. When you get the certifications, add them to your CV and keep looking. You don't need a £5k training course... self-study is the way to go.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Tully

Tully Bit Poster

thanks for the advice guys.

I think after reading what you guys have said and what I've found out, Im gonna cancel the idea of joining Advent and instead just look for a job and study for the A+ and N+, after which I can start applying for 'proper' IT jobs.

All I need now is where to start for my A+ and Network+? Any tried and tested publications would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys, it's cleared a lot of things up for me

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

There is a heap of info, including recomended books in the A+ section of this forum!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+