CertForums.com IT Certification Forum Homepage
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Anyone studied the CCNA with the Open University?

You are viewing a topic in the General Cisco Certifications forum part of the Cisco Certification Forums category.

• Share:
    Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
    you wont get a CCNA job with no experience even with the CCNA cert.
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonD View Post
    I am sorry to say but having the CCNA and no IT Experience isn't going to help you get a job, whilst Cisco class the CCNA as 'entry level' I will be honest with you and tell you it's not.

You would be better off getting an N+ and leaving the CCNA off your CV for a while (and as per your other post, don't even bother with the CCNP just yet).
    I originally signed up for the OU's CCNA course for next year, but then I got cold feet.

It was partly for the credit points (1/2 of the second year points) but I concede that I was also wondering whether it could lead to a job. I have to confess that I did wonder whether the fact that it would be via the OU and included practical work at day schools would seem more 'impressive' that self-study.

Yet I don't have the experience and that was always at the back of my mind. And anyway there are other courses with the OU that I'd prefer to do next year for other reasons. So I decided against.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide View Post

Is the OU free? Or do I have to pay?

Im unemployed at the moment

Thanks

The OU's certainly not free but you can apply for financial support, but the deadline's the middle of next week and you need all sorts of evidence of income and a photocopy of your ID countersigned by someone with 'standing' in the community.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/explain...-support.shtml

2. Posts

Liked
    12 times
    What is it at the OU that you decided to do in the end then Jo? I assume you are doing some kind of IT degree?

You might want to consider the TM128 - Microsoft Server Technology

If you take it and you are based in the midlands, I may even be your tutor.

Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Modey View Post
    What is it at the OU that you decided to do in the end then Jo? I assume you are doing some kind of IT degree?

I'd actually prefer to do some Maths courses (MS221 next year) as well as some computing courses (but with more emphasis on Maths).

I'm a bit put off by TM128 because it's 'only' a level 1 course; I've enough points at that level and choosing TM128 would've (as I've missed the deadline, I was aware of the course though) meant not choosing a level 2 course.

I'd be more confident in self-studying for an MCTS than the CCNA.
    It looks like TM128 relies more on virtual labs whereas I'm guessing that the OU's CCNA course would require more hands on work with routers/switches. So self-studying for the MCTS could be more workable (and cheaper)?

Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jo74 View Post
    It looks like TM128 relies more on virtual labs whereas I'm guessing that the OU's CCNA course would require more hands on work with routers/switches. So self-studying for the MCTS could be more workable (and cheaper)?
    I'm not famliar with the CCNA's curiculum but I know they use Cisco's own materials. As for the two MCTS's that are part of the TM128, they use the MS eLearning courses + labs. You also get books to go along with that. If you have no need for the level 1 points then doing them independantly via self study would definitely be cheaper. Then again you can get money off with the OU depending on personal circumstances.

It wouldn't suprise me if they make the TM128 a lvl2 on the next presentation though as quite a few students have been suprised at the difficulty of block 1 given it's supposed to be a lvl1 course.

Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times

Perhaps the OU have missed a trick by not having a level 1 course for the Network + or the CCENT, each leading the CCNA (or the latter to ICDN2)?

The OU's CCNA course looks a bit 'isolated', there aren't really any level 1 courses leading to it and the only further Cisco course they have, or IT cert course full stop, is for the CCNP, which is at a post-grad level.

One of the reasons I removed it from my OU plans was that there weren't any level 3 courses following on from it; unlike the maths & stats courses I've chosen instead.

Perhaps the OU could do the MCSA/E at levels 2 and 3 with day schools/residential weeks?

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Guys,

I did the cisco course with the OU last year, really enjoyed it and had planned to do the external ccna after the OU exam.
    However I had a nightmare on OU exam day which resulted in only getting 67% after looking set for a distinction due to the tma's
    I was pretty hacked off afterwards and didnt do the external exam.

I followed it with T224 and found it very straighforward (my background is hardware field service).
    Now about to be made redundant early next year so have dug out the cisco stuff and hoping to sit the CCNA exam sometime in Jan.

I blew a lot of marks in last years OU T216 exam by interpreting a question completely wrong ! (converged networks)

I'm due to start T307 in Feb.

Adbru

Liked
    12 times
    Good luck taking the CCNA matey.

Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by adbru View Post
    Hi Guys,

I did the cisco course with the OU last year, really enjoyed it and had planned to do the external ccna after the OU exam.
    However I had a nightmare on OU exam day which resulted in only getting 67% after looking set for a distinction due to the tma's
    I was pretty hacked off afterwards and didnt do the external exam.

I followed it with T224 and found it very straighforward (my background is hardware field service).
    Now about to be made redundant early next year so have dug out the cisco stuff and hoping to sit the CCNA exam sometime in Jan.

I blew a lot of marks in last years OU T216 exam by interpreting a question completely wrong ! (converged networks)

I'm due to start T307 in Feb.

Adbru
    Adbru,
    It was almost exactly the same for me, got around the same as you for the OU final written exam. Was not best please but knew at the time that I messed up a few questions.

I did find it a shame that the OU final exam brought down the whole of the course grade just from 1 short writtem exam when I did so well in 9 months in all the other written TMA stuff, was gutting but thats the way they do it unfortunately.

I am not letting it get me down too much as I feel I have a good grasp of Cisco networking, I too am going to go for the Main CCNA exam end of January giving myself some more cram time, I dont wanna leave it too long or I will forget everything. Also, where the OU exam was written, the CCNA is mainly multi choice and although you have to get at least 85% to pass, I think its acheiveable with having done a 9 month course on the stuff.

Good luck to you in your exam.

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Millsie, Best of luck for your exam.

Let us know how you get on

Adbru

Liked
    0 times
    Well Self study through the open university is definitely an option, what do you think about the practical implementation of the same?

Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NirmalDatacomm Kiara View Post
    Well Self study through the open university is definitely an option, what do you think about the practical implementation of the same?
    Not really sure I understand your question Nirmal. If you mean what practicals hands on equipment you would use in the course ... As far as I understand it's all taught using Cisco's own simulation software and there are also day schools where you would have some tutor lead sessions as well.

Liked
    4 times
    Not really sure I understand your question Nirmal. If you mean what practicals hands on equipment you would use in the course ... As far as I understand it's all taught using Cisco's own simulation software and there are also day schools where you would have some tutor lead sessions as well.

I can confirm that you do get packet tracer to use during the course for various activities which is excellent for lab stuff and you also get access to netlabs which is live racks based in Bedfordshire at one of the OU facilities, this too is excellent.

Also, you get 5 day schools and this is the best thing, you actually get to play with live kit at all 5 days! You also get to practice things like making/terminating ethernet cables and crossover etc. using the proper tools and at the end of each day school you do an end of semester exam which gets you in the practice for the CCNA as its mutli choice.

So there you go, some positive stuff about the OU course.

Steve

Bit Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by millsie View Post
    Also, you get 5 day schools and this is the best thing, you actually get to play with live kit at all 5 days! You also get to practice things like making/terminating ethernet cables and crossover etc. using the proper tools and at the end of each day school you do an end of semester exam which gets you in the practice for the CCNA as its mutli choice.

Steve
    I did CCNA with the OU last year, and IMHO the day schools were the weakest part of the package, if they hadn't been compulsory for the OU credit I wouldn't have gone back after the first one.

Mat

Liked
    0 times
    two different opinions about the same thing, which day schools did you go to?

Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    I did the open uni CCNA course as well. Passed the CCNA full exam last week, 3-4months after the OU course finished. It was also my 3rd time of asking. Luckily you can still access the academy for revision after you've done the final OU exam.

You get the standard cisco material, the course it at a fast pace if you are working as well. I did like the labs and the coursework as this really helped with making sure you understood the material.

The day schools seemed to vary widely depending on where you went. They seemed to me to be more about getting you past the end of semester exams rather than hands on. We didn't terminate any cables or do a great deal that we couldn't have done on packet tracer.

I was on 18k when I signed up, I got a free laptop and also the course fees paid. I think if you get it for free then definitely go for it. If you have to pay full price yourself I would consider other options.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123