CCNA Equivalent

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by iamandrew, Sep 11, 2009.

1. iamandrew

iamandrew New Member

What level is CCNA equivalent to? I have been told it is a) University year 2, b) University year 1, c) A-levels.
    Does anyone know authoritatively, or can anyone point me at a web site that tells me?

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It might be my thick-headed Americanness... but I can't for the life of me see the logic in mapping certifications to degree programs... although both deal with knowledge, they're like apples and oranges.

In my opinion, the CCNA is designed for someone who is just starting to administer Cisco routers. Trying to set some artificial equivalence doesn't really do much good... nor will employers care what it's equivalent to.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. iamandrew

iamandrew New Member

I agree with you completely BosonMichael. You put it succinctly and well. They are quite different. Unfortunately... my country's government has decided that there is only one scale to measure all things against, and I am stuck in that (silly) system. I have found a University course that contains CCNA learning, and I am wondering how to rate it.

Having been critical of the whole idea of equivalence, I can see a little sense in it: if people who configure routers to solve problems in the field are thinking through problems of a certain difficulty, and coming up with solutions of a certain quality, maybe there is after all some sense of equivalence.

4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hi

BM is right that there is no logic in mapping certs to degree or other academic qualifications.

Although you are not the first to ask this sort of question. My students have said that the CCNA is on par or just below (in detail and difficulty) with an A level (I never asked which particular subject, probably sewing :biggrin)

It really means nothing as employers will not make that sort of correlation

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. BosonMichael

But do employers in the UK really care what it's equivalent to? If not, why bother??

What I mean is this: if an employer sees the CCNA on your CV and they don't know what having that certification means - what a CCNA candidate is capable of doing - then is that really an employer you want to work for?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I have done quite a bit of research in to this in the past whilst trying to apply for a training grant. The grant only allowed funding towards courses of level 3 and above on the National Qualifications Framework in the U.K.

It eventually turned out that a CCNA was considered a level 3 qualification. A single MCP & MCDST level 2, the MCSA level 3 and an MCSE level 4. This all confirmed by the NQF or Edexcel whatever they are called these days.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's right, you can see my old thread here, it's a couple of years old now but it has the mappings of some professional certs to the NQF :)

-Ken

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. iamandrew

iamandrew New Member

Thanks very much to all, for comments and feedback. And especially to Ken for the link to the NQF table he built.

The problem I needed this help for is not to do with employers rating the CCNA, but with equivalents to university courses for exemption of study and that sort of thing.

So this has been a great help.

Over and out on this thread so far as I am concerned.

Should I delete the thread, to keep the forum tidy? (Can I delete a thread???) I am ignorant of the etiquette, here.

Thanks again. Andrew.

9. BosonMichael

No need to delete the thread at all, Andrew... let it remain so others who are looking for the same information can find it. :)