Engineering to Architect - Job Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by BraderzTheDog, Aug 5, 2014.

1. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Hi Gents,

Hope you are all well!

I have a job interview tomorrow for an architect role in network security. I'm wondering if you have any advice on how to make myself stand out from the competition (in the right way)?

I'm currently a network engineer (established to senior level) and this would progressively be the next step up. The only difference is I would be moving to a smaller company and be responsible for more of the politics and process element which is quite new to me.

At the moment I dabble in technical design / process / strategy / sustainability and scalability but the move would make this a more active element of my workload.

I would be more than happy to take all advice! So far, I've got a new shirt, plenty of documents to show my skills (in a fancy pouch) and a pair of geeky specks! I should look the part if anything :)

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi mate I've just done this within the past month, going from Server engineer to Solutions Architect (although I've not started the role yet).

My interview wasn't as technical as I expected. I think your CV will do a lot of talking for you, they will possibly be more interested in the way you think and how you act under pressure. An awareness of things like TOGAF and the offerings from BCS are handy. As a senior you'll no doubt have plenty of examples of when you've taken charge of a situation, had junior members of staff update something while you're on the phone to the customer or something like that. As an architect as well as being a designer of systems they will also expect you to be a leader of staff. Not direct reports but able to command a situation. Just trying to think mate

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs