New Role Input / Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Currently working in a Desktop Support role and have been here a year on August 20th.
    Pretty good firm, like working here, pay isnt bad and the perks are great.

Been working hard and it seems to have paid off. The Tech Services (3rd Line effectivley) asked me to have a chat today and informed me that there was a Junior 3rd line role coming up and wondered if I would be interested. He said that my Line Manager and his Manager both spoke very highly of me and think I would do very well in the role.

I will be meeting with the newley promoted Senior Tech Services guys next week for an Interview.

Now I have made the Team Leader aware that I need experience and as this is a Junior role, it give me the chance to learn. I conincidently emailed him the other week asking which certifications I should be looking at.

Just wondered if anyone that has been in this position could offer some advice?

Thank you,

Ron

2. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

I can offer some advice mate, was in a very similar situation myself last christmas. At the time I had been working on 1st line for 10 months and really trying to impress (taking on new work and responsibilities, overtime etc.). Similar to yourself I got pulled by the 3rd line manager saying there was a junior role coming up and he had been impressed by what i'd done so far. First thing I did was speak to someone in the team and got the low down on what systems they used. From there I installed the software at home (SCCM & AD) and got the basics - this really bode well in the interview. Best bit of advice I can give for the interview is come across willing to learn (which it looks like you are with the certs you have and are studying for), if you do not know something they ask then be truthful.

P.S. I found the first few months in my new role very difficult, I do not know how it will be with your company but I was offered little training. If you get the job make sure proper training is in place. Definitely try to take on as much new work as you can, this is how I got through the difficult starting period and now I couldn't be happier :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I would like to say look at the Microsoft certifications, but you haven't given us a lot of information here.

What kind of technology do they use? Microsoft, Apple, Linux?
    What does a Junior 3rd line do? Different organisations have different titles and responsibilities for each position, etc...

Apart from that congrats, hope that everything works out great for you :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Jaron78

Thanks Guys, most helpful.

At present it is a case of everyone mucking in. However, now the teams is more settled, they are splitting into Web Based Tech Services and Company based Tech Services. I will be going into Company based TS using Windows Server so AD, Cloud Exchange, VMWare etc.

I have been advised by the Team Lead to look at Server 2012 Exams, along with a Network+ or CCNA if I am feeling brave, as well as some VMware study. He has also recommened Cloud based study as we will be pushing towards that.

I have a VMWare domain built at home as I was studying for the 70-680.

I am really looking forward to the Interview to be honest, and really hope it comes off. Think the Interview is early next week. They wanted it today but we have had a few staff off in Desktop so asked to delay it by a couple of days.

Will update you all as soon as Ive had the interview :)

Thanks Guys,

5. dstorey

dstorey Bit Poster

Best of luck!

6. Jaron78

Hi guys,

Well the interview was yesterday and it seemed to go OK.
    I emphasied the fact that I want to learn, and eager to gain more knowledge. Explained that I had setup my own 2008R2 AD Domain at home and was looking at SCCM as well. Seemed to go down quite well.

Hopefully be able to update by next week :)

Ron

exonje likes this.
  7. exonje

exonje Byte Poster

well done matey! fingers crossed for ya!

8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Well done, sounds like you did yourself proud. Let us know
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  9. Jaron78

Thanks Guys, still waiting to hear.
    With things like this, HR don’t seem to be in much of a rush.

The guy that was promoted to Desktop Support recently, had to wait 3 weeks to find out!!

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I had a similar thing recently, I was promoted in house to manage the team I was a member of for the last 2 years (previously the position was held by a contractor with me being perm).

It took my director \ HR over three weeks to interview me and then a further two weeks to offer me the position, whilst it may be nerving for you and you want it done NOW, for HR etc it's just part of the process.

Good luck with the role, if you're going down the VMware Cloud route don't get stuck too much in to vCloud Director as it's being deprecated (and may not actually be supported on vSphere 6 when that goes GA). Instead I would start having a look at vCAC (vCloud Automation Center) as this is the product that VMware are aiming to be their Cloud solution (it's going to be a merge of vCAC and vFAD\vCAD (vFabric Application Director\vCloud Application Director).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Jaron78

Cool, Thank you.
    HR emailed on Friday evening to say that there hadnt been any news either way and it is still being discussed. They hope to have feedback by the end of the week.

Keep you all updated.

Cheers

12. Jaron78

Morning All,

Advice needed please.
    E-Mail yesterday from HR saying that I was not successful in my application. The "Team" feel I need to improve my knowledge. However,

1. The Role was for Junior Tech Services (I am currently working in Desktop Support),
    2. When speaking to the Tech Services Team Leader, I emphasised that I didn't have the experience or knowledge. His response to that was "I am looking for someone who is willing to learn, with that the knowledge will come",
    3. They approached me about the job, not I them,
    4. During the Interview there were 0 Technical questions,

It just really feels like a MASSIVE Cop out on their part. I have emailed the Tech Services Team Lead and requested a meeting on Monday. I have also highlighted a couple of the points above.

Has anyone else been in this sort of situation? Must admit, really pissed off at the moment.

Cheers