CV content

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Makaveli, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I am currently in the process of updating my CV and over the years I have always been pretty good at keeping it up to date in terms of content but I am not sure the information is in the best order. Currently I have the below headings in the order listed

- Personal details and contact information
    - Personal profile
    - Employment history
    - Education
    - Certifications
    - References

After searching the internet I have found several websites recommending a different order and also an additional section for skills summary. I would be interested to know what order people list the headings on their CV, particularly those with several years experience in the IT industry as I appreciate the content can depend on the level of experience a person has.

2. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

If it helps on mine I did the following major sections.

• Contact Details
    • Education and Certifications - No point in separate sections
    • Experience - Within this section I had a career summary paragraph no more than 3-5 lines of text selling myself, a skill summary which I think is essential to hit agencies and HR pattern matching and then followed it with employment history in reverse order (most recent first).
    • Outside Interests - This is purely optional, some like it, some don't; hence at the bottom and only included if I have space without spreading onto a new page. I may well look at dropping this next update.

Do not include references other than to say 'available on request' even then it's wasted space and it doesn't appear on my current version at all. If they want um they'll ask. Don't let it run on for more than 3 pages if you have a lot of experience, no need for more than 2 if not and a grad is a 1 pager. My last update covered 10 years of full time work in 4 job roles and was 2 pages and it landed me my current role.

I've spent time filtering CVs in previous jobs so I know what I'm looking for and I try to match that in mine.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  3. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Thanks Cunningfox. I spent a couple of hours reorganising my CV and now have the below sections in the order listed

- Contact details
    - Personal profile
    - Technical skills summary
    - Certifications
    - Education and qualifications
    - Employment history
    - References (available on request)

I have kept the acedemic education and certifications separate, I think this works well. I am still abit unsure about having the technical skills summary section in there but I can see why it would help prospective employers quickly see what skills a candidate has so I think I will leave that in. If anyone else has any input please feel free to post a reply.

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

It all depends. If you graduated years ago and you have a strong list of work, put work towards the top. If you have limited work experience, then put education and certs at the top.

5. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

I think thats the problem, I've been working in IT for close to 10 years in 2 jobs since I graduated. I also have several certifications, I think I will stick with the order in my previous post atleast that way it can be an attention grabber.

6. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

Things not to include;
    Address - only pu post code
    age/date of birth

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  7. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Really? I have always put my full address on mine. If you are not going to why would you put the post code on it rather than just the town or city? I agree with not putting your age on there.

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Drop the references section, it goes without saying and adds nothing.

Minimize all information that's redundant or does not sell you, this includes things like full address. I would just put your town or county. Do not put your age on there.

Otherwise I would say it sounds fine.