CV Critique needed for a 1st Line Job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jaguar, Dec 16, 2013.

1. jaguar

jaguar New Member

Hello All,

I have only just recently registered on this forum, even though I have been lurking around for a month or two reading every post that relates to my career switch.

I am looking to transition from my heating controls technician role (which in actual sense is also a service desk role...but more into fixing heating issues remotely) into a FULL IT first line/service desk role and would want your help with advising on how to make my CV better in other to get my foot in the door into a full IT role

I'll look forward to reading your comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

View attachment internetcv.doc .

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

View attachment CALEB O.doc

I've gone through and added some comments. I've only done the basics, but I have the following big things to point out:

1) Your general use of grammar is pretty slack. Read the CV contents out loud to yourself. Do they make sense? Do you have to think about what you've written as you read it? If you do, then consider rewriting or correct as needed.

2) For someone that has a technical job and IT experience already, you've not mentioned ANY technologies you've used in a previous role. You've given a brief nod to IT in your "Skills" section but apart from this, I know nothing of the technologies you may have touched.

The CV is the document you're going to use to sell yourself. Pack as much in those two pages as you can. Don't waffle - snappy bullet points and good, yummy relevant information is what recruiters are looking for. The more keywords that might come up in CV searches, the better.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. jaguar

jaguar New Member

Thanks so much Arroryn for taking out time to critic my CV. I really do appreciate it.

I am taking this on and will spend more time to update it as much as I can, following your advice.

Appreciate :)

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey

As well as the grammar that Arroyn pointed out, id also consider the format of the ducument perhaps and also get family and friends to read it. There are also some good cv templates out there that may help

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Best advice ever! :biggrin