First week in my first real IT role

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by zxspectrum, Dec 13, 2013.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So im loving this at the moment, and im hoping it continues for a long time, even after the honeymoon period that you always go through when in a new place.

The whole set it is mainly run through visualization, and even though ive not been onto that at all, i dare say ill be getting some hands on control at some point. Lots of password resetting, printer credit assigning, typical usual days that you would expect really. Today was a strange one as one of the servers that the students mainly use, didnt back up properly and this caused everything to be pulled from the last backed up snapshot. So as people were accessing their data, it was pulling from this snap shot, then not letting students save or edit their work at times, and obviously there was issues with people logging on, this took a long time, so there was a lot of stressed out students.

However, weeks like that i can do.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. SiberianKhatru

SiberianKhatru Bit Poster

Glad you're enjoying the new role, Zxs.

What are you hoping to get into in the future?

WIP: A+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good stuff mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Cool!

5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Congrats mate, keep us updated on how you are doing. Any words of wisdom on how you landed your IT role? I think you had stuck with this through some highs and lows hadn't you, which is really good on you. Well done. James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Ha ha Jk, i dont know about words of wisdom.

Best i can say is to anyone who is looking to get into IT is to keep knocking at the door and apply for everything. Thats what i did, the role im in now i never expected to get, nor did i expect to get offered the other role i went for as well. If your new to IT, i really must stress that bits of paper mean nothing without experience, putting down my work exp really stood out on every interview i attended.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. SiberianKhatru

SiberianKhatru Bit Poster

How do you get experience without having had an IT role before?

I won't put volunteer work past me if it comes to it, but it would be so hard while working full time nights.

WIP: A+