Dicks at work.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by aushus, Mar 11, 2013.

1. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Hey Guys,

The place I work there is this guy,

he has being in the company for 9 months more than me and thats all the IT experience he has. It is funny because he acts like he is my superior, and he says he is my superior and when the manager is not in the office he is the one in charge of leading the team, it is getting into my nerves because I have more experience than him I have being in IT for 4 years (im new to the company though only being here for 4 months).

What should I do? I am also younger than him by 3 years but I am more experienced than him and he is sometimes amature and thinks he knows it all but he is really smart, but he is very inexperienced.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hang on, if when the manager is not in the office he is in charge of leading the team then he is your superior, what you should do is accept that there will be people younger and less experienced than you who will more often than not do better than you.

Just because you have 3 more years than him doesn't make you the better person, if it did then I should be an IT Director now (15 years in IT, 10 in the Army, doesn't that mean I should be a Director now???).

Not meaning to be harsh here but this post probably suggests why he is the person placed in charge when management are away.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Simon if you read closely you will see that I said I am younger than him and whenever he has a technical issue he always asks me, he said I know more than him which is true since I have being in the game for longer than him and he does level 1 stuff while I do some level 1 stuff but more level 2 and 3 and project stuff, but what I do not understand is there is 8 of us and there are others in the team that has 5 years of experience as well and more experience than him and know more than him and he is still learning yet he is suppose to lead the team when the manager is not around? something is odd

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

You didn't mention that.

And also, what is his job title? There are such things as non-technical service desk managers, who have a great depth of customer service knowledge or ability, but little to no technical know-how.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind. How many of your colleagues have also complained about this? If you really have an issue, speak to your manager who has apparently put this guy in charge. But as it stands, whether you fix his little IT issues or not, he is your superior. If you don't like the workplace and it's not going to change, the only real solution is to find a different place to work.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

Dude,

I said he is in charge of leading the team when my manager is not around like away sick or some ****.

he is not my manager by any means

6. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

We don't know much about this guy other than that you don't like him. We don't know much about you, but I am currently of the opinion that I wouldn't leave you in charge of the biscuit tin.

Being 'in charge' while the real boss is away means nothing to anyone. Being grumpy because the honour has gone elsewhere is a waste of your time. Get on with your job.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  7. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Brings back a classic dialogue from "The Office"

Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. People will generally be given responsibility because they have earned it. Doesn't matter how old or young you are, and experience is only a tiny part of it. It's acting responsibly and not having hissy fits that generally gets it.

On the flip-side how would the guy that has been there longer than you feel, if you have been there for a shorter period of time, and put you in charge of him.

I am going to watch this thread, and I will close it if it descends into pettiness.

8. aushus

aushus Kilobyte Poster

i work as a senior Infrastructure Engineer, sure he has being there longer than me and I am new to the company but he is a Junior Infrastructure Engineer, there is a difference, I came on board with experience and doing a senior level role. How would he feel? I have no idea

9. FSZ

FSZ Bit Poster

Mate I wouldn’t let ii eat you. I have seen this before in my 15 year career and generally it’s to do more with people skills then IT side of things. I think you looking too deep into this. Not saying this in a bad way, but may be it’s a pay thing or more a case of wanting to be popular. Whatever it is, ignore it, put your head down and just do your work because it all comes out in the wash later.

Certifications: Too many!!
    WIP: CCNP
  10. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

I agree with the above, I wouldn't let it eat you up.

As some of you may know I am 18 and people often see the younger employee as an easy target to wind up etc... It used to get to me, but I learnt not to let it get to me and more importantly how not to rise to things like this.

Yeah people do get professional jealousy, you may be younger, more experienced and have more certifications... The most likely reason he's a D..k is because he feels inadequate about how you have a few years on him experience wise and are younger. Your prospects are better, and worst of all he probably knows it aswell as your other colleagues. If it helps him sleep at night let him feel like hes the boss.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I too am a senior engineer and when I started one of the junior engineers was the delegation of responsibility when the team manager was away, I didn't have any gripes because I was new to the company and didn't know everything there was to know about how things were.

As it goes now that person left the company and my manager asked me to be the new DOR (delegation of responsibility) because not only was I the senior engineer but I was also viewed as being a person of trust.

One other thing that I should point out is that I don't know everything about the way the team works, I don't do on-call (the only member of the team that doesn't actually) but I am viewed as the person to go to to ensure that if something needs to be escalated or worked on (whilst my manager is away).

Just because you're a senior engineer doesn't automatically mean you're a decent team lead, the mix of management and technical ability varies between people.

You do sound bitter because you expect to be in a role that you think is deserved because you're a senior engineer, you don't automatically achieve team leadership\ delegated management just because you're a senior engineer.

I would honestly suggest that you take a look at what team managers\leaders do and don't do, they understand that they don't know everything and that they need to speak to their SME's, that's the sign of a good manager, being able to delegate work to the people best served to do that work.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Arroryn and Sparky like this.
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm not "dude" to anyone. As has already been mentioned, just because you have a higher technical job role it does not automatically entitle you to team seniority in terms of the soft skills needed to manage a service desk. I didn't say he was your manager however, if he gets the nod when your manager is out for any reason, then he is seen as being capable of doing the management bits and pieces needed to keep the cogs turning.

If all of your team have the same opinion as you then raise it with your manager, whose responsibility is ultimately is to make such delegation decisions. There's literally nothing else you can do about it.

At the end of the day, I'd be slightly relieved. Senior infrastructure work is difficult enough without having to deal with the additional workload of service desk management. Perhaps the manager is shielding senior engineers from the increased workload?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

If his been told he is to be in charge of the team when the boss is away i dont really know what your issue is....Its your managers decision not really the other guys fault.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  14. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The best thing for you to do is accept your superiors decision and forget about what you think they should be doing and what you think is the right decision . Work hard, show initiative and maturity and prove yourself a bigger and better man.

Personally I would try to ensure my superiors where aware that I had the knowledge, maturity and determination and that if they needed to they could trust me to make good decisions in their absence but you have to be clever about how you do this. Calling out somebody else's inadequacies is defiantly not the way to do it.

Chin up, suck it in and move forward. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...