Difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by hugorilho, May 29, 2009.

1. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Hey guys,

I'm new in IT (well, TBH, haven't even started yet...) and new to the UK. I'm sure that there similar jobs to the ones in thread title in Portugal where I come from. But in the company where I use to work there was this tech guy who drove around our county (in Portugal we call it districts) and fix problems that would occur with the companies computers. Therefore I must admit that I don't know the differences between the jobs mentioned in the thread title . I'm studying for my MCDST. What kind of jobs would this enable me to apply?

Certifications: MCDST
  2. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi buddy.

If you do a search, there are many threads like this one, and I have personally posted one myself.

The definition tends to vary from company, sector etc but IMO is as below:

1st Line Support - Helpdesk (Job titles such as Helpdesk Analyst, First Line Support, Call Logger)
    Typically involves resolving calls over the phone in ans ervice desk environment and may escalte to 2nd line support.

2nd Line Support - Desktop Support (Job titles such as IT Technician, PC Engineer, Desktop Support Analyst)
    Typically involves onsite desktop support of all workstations, printers, scanners etc

3rd Line Support - Network Support (Job titles such as Netowrk Admin, Network Manager, Server Engineer)

Typically involves onsite support of all servers and dedicated to maintenance of network related issues.

FatP :)

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Good breakdown Fatp, nice one :biggrin

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Hey fatp,

thank you very much for clearing this out. Cheers.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just bear in mind though, that it varies from company to company, so there is no definitive answer. In a small company for example you would find these rolls all mixed into one. and others the distinction between one level and another is blurred.

However, as a guide.. fatp's post is good.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Theres also an IT job title called 'Field Engineer' - Travelling from client sites to sites

This may involve only desktop support work but usually is typicallly a mix of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Line work.

7. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

What kind of jobs could I apply for with an MCDST? My idea is to start apllying for trainee jobs as soon as I've finished the MCDST. But should I do an entry-level Comptia cert like A+ or N+ before I start applying for jobs?

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

With no previous IT experience your going to want to go for 1st line type roles, time in the trenchs will serve you well in later life and the majority of IT departments like you to have real world experience.

1st line can be a soul destroying experience but the experience you'll gain (not just IT experience but customer facing as well) will make you a far better IT professional in the long run.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  9. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Unless your very luck you will probably have to start in 1st line. I was lucky and started in 2nd line but on a very poor wage and worked from there (the salary does get a lot better but takes time).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  10. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Thank you so much for your help. One last thingy (sorry! hehe). Is an MCDST enough to enable me to apply for 1st line jobs or should I do an entry level Comptia cert? I'm leaning torwards the N+ but in the long run I want to do A+ as well. What do you guys recomend?

11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I always say the Comptia A+ and Network+ are good for expanding your basic knowledge and not your career. Most employers are interested in Microsoft and Cisco certs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  12. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

Thank you slype. Good advice. I'm going for the N+ plus right after I nailed the MCDST (hopefully). This forum RULEZZZZ!!!

13. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

The above text has been used in a CBTNugget video and a credit given to certforum.co.uk.

CBT Nuggets Help Desk Institute HDI Desktop Support Technician

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
    Arroryn and Sparky like this.