CertForums.com IT Certification Forum Homepage
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By -Mercury-

Difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support?

You are viewing a topic in the Employment & Jobs forum part of the Certification Support Forums category.

• Share:
    Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times

Difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support?

Hey guys,

I'm new in IT (well, TBH, haven't even started yet...) and new to the UK. I'm sure that there similar jobs to the ones in thread title in Portugal where I come from. But in the company where I use to work there was this tech guy who drove around our county (in Portugal we call it districts) and fix problems that would occur with the companies computers. Therefore I must admit that I don't know the differences between the jobs mentioned in the thread title . I'm studying for my MCDST. What kind of jobs would this enable me to apply?

2. Posts

Liked
    0 times
    Hi buddy.

If you do a search, there are many threads like this one, and I have personally posted one myself.

The definition tends to vary from company, sector etc but IMO is as below:

1st Line Support - Helpdesk (Job titles such as Helpdesk Analyst, First Line Support, Call Logger)
    Typically involves resolving calls over the phone in ans ervice desk environment and may escalte to 2nd line support.

2nd Line Support - Desktop Support (Job titles such as IT Technician, PC Engineer, Desktop Support Analyst)
    Typically involves onsite desktop support of all workstations, printers, scanners etc

3rd Line Support - Network Support (Job titles such as Netowrk Admin, Network Manager, Server Engineer)

Typically involves onsite support of all servers and dedicated to maintenance of network related issues.

FatP

Forum Leader - The Lounge jk2447's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fatp View Post
    Hi buddy.

If you do a search, there are many threads like this one, and I have personally posted one myself.

The definition tends to vary from company, sector etc but IMO is as below:

1st Line Support - Helpdesk (Job titles such as Helpdesk Analyst, First Line Support, Call Logger)
    Typically involves resolving calls over the phone in ans ervice desk environment and may escalte to 2nd line support.

2nd Line Support - Desktop Support (Job titles such as IT Technician, PC Engineer, Desktop Support Analyst)
    Typically involves onsite desktop support of all workstations, printers, scanners etc

3rd Line Support - Network Support (Job titles such as Netowrk Admin, Network Manager, Server Engineer)

Typically involves onsite support of all servers and dedicated to maintenance of network related issues.

FatP
    Good breakdown Fatp, nice one

Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Hey fatp,

thank you very much for clearing this out. Cheers.

Country
    Australia Country Flag
    Liked
    7 times
    Just bear in mind though, that it varies from company to company, so there is no definitive answer. In a small company for example you would find these rolls all mixed into one. and others the distinction between one level and another is blurred.

However, as a guide.. fatp's post is good.

Liked
    0 times
    Theres also an IT job title called 'Field Engineer' - Travelling from client sites to sites

This may involve only desktop support work but usually is typicallly a mix of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Line work.

Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    What kind of jobs could I apply for with an MCDST? My idea is to start apllying for trainee jobs as soon as I've finished the MCDST. But should I do an entry-level Comptia cert like A+ or N+ before I start applying for jobs?

Liked
    2 times
    With no previous IT experience your going to want to go for 1st line type roles, time in the trenchs will serve you well in later life and the majority of IT departments like you to have real world experience.

1st line can be a soul destroying experience but the experience you'll gain (not just IT experience but customer facing as well) will make you a far better IT professional in the long run.

Country
    England Country Flag
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hugorilho View Post
    What kind of jobs could I apply for with an MCDST? My idea is to start apllying for trainee jobs as soon as I've finished the MCDST. But should I do an entry-level Comptia cert like A+ or N+ before I start applying for jobs?

Unless your very luck you will probably have to start in 1st line. I was lucky and started in 2nd line but on a very poor wage and worked from there (the salary does get a lot better but takes time).

Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you so much for your help. One last thingy (sorry! hehe). Is an MCDST enough to enable me to apply for 1st line jobs or should I do an entry level Comptia cert? I'm leaning torwards the N+ but in the long run I want to do A+ as well. What do you guys recomend?

Country
    England Country Flag
    Liked
    1 times
    I always say the Comptia A+ and Network+ are good for expanding your basic knowledge and not your career. Most employers are interested in Microsoft and Cisco certs.

Kilobyte Poster
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you slype. Good advice. I'm going for the N+ plus right after I nailed the MCDST (hopefully). This forum RULEZZZZ!!!

Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fatp View Post

FatP
    The above text has been used in a CBTNugget video and a credit given to certforum.co.uk.

CBT Nuggets Help Desk Institute HDI Desktop Support Technician