Recruitment Agency Tips

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rob1234, May 18, 2009.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I am after any tips for dealing with Recruitment agencies for example when one rung me up the other day they wanted to know what my current wage is, I told him it was nothing to do with the job I was applying for but he still kept going on about it, in the end I wouldn’t tell him but I think it may have affected my chances with the job is there a good standard answer I should give to questions like that?

And is there a good way to tell when a job is genuine or not I think a lot of these agencies seem to jus make jobs up so that you send your CV in.

Certifications: A few.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Opps double post...

3. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If a recruiter really had a position they thought you were a good match for would they really need to screw you around so much ?

Wouldn't it be easier for them to describe the position and the renumeration and have you give it the tumbs up or thumbs down ?

4. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Recruitment Agency Tips

when someone call don't pretend to be out of the office or on lunch at 11am
    When someone spend time filling an Application Form have the Common decency to email back.
    When someone isn't going to get an interview email them back and let them know it only take a couple minutes.

O sorry that not what your looking for Rob1234

one tip don't give out your leads some agent will call and ask if your go anything in the pipe line and who with
    only to put one of there own Contractor in.

5. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Never tell them anything they don't absolutely need to know.

Never divulge prospects, contacts, previous managers, previous or current salary, etc.

Realise they are not recruiters because they like helping people get jobs, they do it for the money.

Treat them like salesmen, estate agents, financial advisors, in other words approach with extreme caution.

There was a radio item tonight on radio 1 news I think, all about how they advetise fake jobs, find your minimum wage, then tout you about to the highest bidder and pocket the difference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8054649.stm