Possible practical tasks in interview?!?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Smorg, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Hello all
    Well I have an interview as an ICT technician and just been sent letter stating that there will be written and 'practical' questions throughout the day.
    Now, just wondering what this could involve? Does anyone out there know of the most common tasks that employers may ask applicants to do?
    Kinda nervous as I don't know what to expect. Has anyone had any experience with this type of interview? If so, any help greatly appreciated!!

WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I once went for an interview where I was asked to install hardware into a PC, one of them was a trick though. They had supplied me with a few SCSI drives and the cable but no terminators so I told them I couldn't complete that task due to no terminators being present.

Your test could be anything, they may ask you install some software (TIP: make a restore point if possible) or some hardware or both.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Thanks. I'm a hardware technician at present so that shouldn't be a problem I'm just a bit nervous if there is any networking troubleshooting etc Any ideas what they might throw at me re: networks etc?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I doubt they'll ask you to configure a network, but they may ask you if you have any networking experience and what that experience is.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

Network wise they mite ask you to add a computer to a domain (I have seen that in a practical test) or they mite have a machine with network problems (unplugged cable etc).

But good luck :)

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Could be anything. What they could ask is as varied as the companies that could ask them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Do they give any info on the role you'd be expected to undertake? If so, then I would expect they may test you on a little bit of that; however, if you've been 'up front' about your experience, they'll know you won't have much if any network background and I would expect them to take that into consideration. They'll no doubt want to see what your problem solving skills are like though...

They may test you a little on what you say you do know... they'd expect you to at least be able to do that. If they have to train you up on that too, they may not be so keen to take you on.

Oh... and good luck! 8)

8. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies!
    In an interview how would you prove that -

Has a working knowledge of network systems, their installation and maintenance and adaptation

What do you think would come up in a practical interview?!?

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, see, that's the problem - you can't really "prove" you have a knowledge of networks. Best you can do is answer questions they throw at you. But even if you answer those questions correctly, there's no guarantee to the employer that you can actually *do* the job. Thus, the importance of having both experience and certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!