Can ne1 give me some advice for an interview...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by laytech, Mar 4, 2008.

1. laytech

laytech New Member

Hi folks,

I got an interview coming up for a helpdesk job for a bank. The job seems to be mainly a 1st tier line of support advisory role where users would phone and report issues etc and then these would be logged and then pushed on to upper levels of support if needed. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice for the interview with what I can expect to be asked or what I should focus on when detailing my possible benefits to the company.

I'm about to take my ccna exam this week so I guess when the interview comes around I should have that as a good asset to use in my play-book. This is my first I.T job interview and I have no experience.

cheers in advance...

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

They could ask you anything from what you know about the company to what you know about setting passwords and user permissions in Windows.

What are you studying the CCNA for with no real world experience? The CCNA is for people who have been networking with Cisco equipment in a real job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. laytech

laytech New Member

Hi thank you,

I did the ccna as part of my degree. Plus I know people that have been asked to do it by their company who are not necessarily using cisco equipment. I found the ccna to be very useful and perhaps it will come in handy one day as im quite keen on network engineering. I gotta get some exp first :))

4. Suttar

Suttar Byte Poster

I also did my CCNA as part of my degree, and had no IT experience at that time. Although it is a benefit to have real world experience with Cisco kit first Laytech is going the correct route to get experience. Eg rather than go straight for a job as a network engineer he is starting in a servicedesk role.

I took this route and it hasn't done me anyharm as I have worked my way to being a Network engineer.

Anyways good luck with the interview, the advice I would give is to show a good manner and a knowledge of how to deal well with irrate customers as this will be important in your role.

Certifications: Hnc Comp & Bsc Networking, ITIL v3
    WIP: CCNA
  5. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Having just done an interview for a job and not really knowing what to expect, I would suggest you brush up on the company, they’ll either explain to you as a company what they do, or more likely ask you to explain what you know about them. In terms of what to expect in terms of questions, if its 1st level support, I’d expect basic troubleshooting questions on Windows, networking, Hardware.

Dress smart and have some questions lined up.

Good luck :)

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I understand, good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?