next career step

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Wires_are_bad, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Hi guys

Although I haven't really posted on here that much, I've followed so much of the advice on here (and sites related to this forum, such as Pete's) and found all the info so helpful.

Once I finished my IT degree, this forum helped me put together a really good CV and I also done six months of voluntary IT work that helped me get my current job!

I've purchased the A+ and N+ books, but I've been trying to get as much hands on experience as possible before I do any further theory based studies (although I have been studying both books).

I've been in working on a technical helpdesk based role (for a software company) for the past year and to be honest I've learnt a great deal. It really helps when your in an IT environment as you pick up alot.

I've recently been involved in cabling and patching for our new office which was also a bonus! I've been promised that I'll be getting involved more with the servers and maybe even get the opportunity to provide technical support for our clients (at the moment we only support the software we provide).

I'm sure after reading all this that most of you must be thinking that sounds pretty good, but theres just so much Im unhappy with and its really starting to affect me. I just wanted some advice really on what to do next :(

The issues I have are that there is no where near enough attention to support and testing as there should be for a software company. Changes and new features are rolled to the live environment with no testing at all in some cases and when things go wrong then I get the wrath of the client. Now don't get me wrong, Im 1st line support so these should go to me, but after i've flagged these issues up with our tehnical director nothing ever seems to happen!

I have to beg and plead in some cases to correct and roll changes to fix OUR problems! I take pride in my job and when clients aren't happy I take it personally, even though its not directly my fault.

Our technical director would make a great politician; so many promises to change and improve things and progress me in the area I want to move into (technical support, server and network admin and even get to grips with security) but apart from letting me help cable the new offices, none of these have materialised and my morale is lower than it's ever been.

I really do feel like I should move on, but I don't know if 6 months voluntary IT work and a year of helpdesk would be enough to get a job in the field that I want. I'd like to go for a junior role in more technical related support; desktop problems, etc.

Should I stick it out for another 6 months or start searching for a job? I know i'm the only one that can really make a decision but it would be really helpful if I had some feedback from you guys :D

Many thanks for reading :D

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats a tough one, because your jobs is to provide tech support and if you cant solve a problem you escalate it up to the next level. If your boss is not doing anything when you tell him the problems then there isn't much you can do in my opinion.

But if its other collegues not passing on your concerns then have a word with your boss and tell him.

Keep an eye out for other jobs but stick with it for the moment unless it gets or is getting really bad.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Start studying, my friend. Experience is great, but don't ignore certifications. Your learning will go well with the experience you're building.

Unfortunately, welcome to the real world. Things like that happen in many tech support jobs. Just remember that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Carefully consider a job move before you jump, and by all means, DON'T leave your current job until you've secured another.

All that said... it sounds like it's certainly worth seeing what other jobs are out there.

I can imagine, that's got to be rough. I'm big on quality as well, so that sort of situation would be hard on me as well.

It certainly can't hurt to look for another job (well... to be safe, search from home, not on work computers :wink:). A year and a half is not too bad. Look around for desktop support jobs, and see how much experience they require. If I had to guess, many of them will ask for 1-3 years of experience. Getting those aforementioned A+ and Network+ certifications will help set yourself ahead of any competition with equivalent experience levels, so get those ASAP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Bad software company. Not testing your software before release is a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately, it sounds like you've done all you can to "suggest" that they do a better job but to no avail.

That said, I agree with Michael that you should stay on at your current job and start looking for another. Even if it's a lateral move, doing the same job for a better company is bound to yield its own rewards. As far as professional growth, like Michael said "keep studying".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Thanks for the comments guys. I really do take on board everything that's been advised, so much appreciated :biggrin

I tend to find job specs (on jobsite, etc) wildly optimistic in terms of job requirements. My own job had points about active directory and it's not even one of the requirements! I remember reading that recruiters do this to try and sift through the inexperienced and try to find the most unqualified person they can. Would you say this is the case sometimes?

It's quite off putting as finding junior roles are few and far between :( I think I know alot more than I give myself credit for, so I'll keep studying and get those certs!

Would be good to hear how others progressed in a similar technical support field 8)

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+