CIW courses...computrain-uk

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by pigwig, Feb 5, 2009.

1. pigwig

pigwig New Member

Hi,

I really want to do a web design course, Computrain-ukseems to offer a great package but it's almost too good to be true.
    Has anyone heard of them or even better, done the course?

2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome,

Why not introduce your self in the new member section.

If you use the search function on the forum, you will find a few threads about computrain.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. Computrain Dale

Computrain Dale New Member

HI, i have done the training with them (computrain-uk) the training was great they gave you Q and A for you exams but i think the job replacement they offer is NOT TRUE! i have finished the training with them 2 months ago. after my training i have been contacting them over a month now for the job replacement and i still havent got any response from the training manager! its seems like they are trying to avoid me. if ever get the job il post it but theres a greater chance that the job replacement isnt true

4. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

I always say, if there are no contact details on the website i.e address and contact telephone number, stay well clear!!

5. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Apologies, I was looking at www.computrain.co.uk, I think you mean www.computrain-uk.com

Anyway, check out their accreditations. Microsoft, IIIT, ODLQC etc.

Iif they have none of these stay well clear.

MrM

6. Bill 2009

Bill 2009 New Member

Hello,

I have now been a current student of Computrain for approximately 13 months. Like many who have posted threads on forums, I had a representative call a few times and after some discussions with him it all sounded what I was looking for and also at a good price compared with some of the other courses I had found. Since being on their MCSE course I have found the level of communication absolutely appalling between themselves and keeping me posted with updates etc. I have still yet to receive an outline of this course. I was initially informed that I would be taking six modules and doing these whilst having a full time job was challenging. Their training website gave a good bakground to each course but not enough to pass the exam. Having no hands-on experience made training difficult although I did find some trail software to use. Luckily they provided Q and A for each exam so passing was not too difficult although this revision material seemed to have been written by a non-english person translating the information. During the sixth module I finally found out more about the course (8 months in) and was told I needed to complete 3 more modules within the year. I have now completed the modules after being given an extra month due to various problems I have had with their organisational skills. I was surprised to pass the last two modules as the training and revision material was not helpful. I felt that I should have not been subjected to the SQL Server 2005 exam as many have said you need two years exerience. After fiinding alot of help on the web and non stop study, I completed it within 2 weeks. Like others, my calls are not being answered and have no idea what is going on. I've really enjoyed doing the modules but the from computrain UK support has been non-existent. Hopefully my experience will help you determine whether computrain Uk is for you..... I would be grateful for any advide from anyone who is a similar situation or can give any advice etc

Certifications: MCSE
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Is it me, or has this become a computrain forum all of a sudden?

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Rhys

Rhys New Member

I received training and mentoring from computrain over the last year. During that time I applied for a job and was assisted by computrain in successfully securing it, they confirmed that I was training and provided positive feedback that assisted me in getting my current IT technician job. My training and experience with Computrain has overall and so far been good, this is mainly due to the fact that they provide a mentor who will provide help with training and other issues as they arise throughout the duration of the course. If your aim is to get qualified and don’t want a completely detached home study training experience then computrain is a good way to go as you will be able to get through to the same person usually your mentor when need be, something other training packages can not provide.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Most people will advise getting a decent portfolio together instead of getting CIW as a portfolio of your work is what employers want.

As for TPs most are the same you pay loads of and they give you some books why not self study as it's the same without the big expense.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. harrypotter

harrypotter New Member

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT SIGN UP WITH COMPUTRAIN.

I signed up for Computrain for the web designer course. I was told I would havemy own advisor who would keep in constant touch to see how i was getting on. I only ever heard from him once then i never heard from him again. I was eventually told he had left. I was told the course is all live labs and site building. Which it is not. You never get any reply from emails or phone calls. They say that you need to sign up before its too late as they only take on students every few months, which is lies. The course is poorly run, its all reading through statements and answering questions.

The last straw was when I was sent my first project, a blank email with an attachment. I was supposed to build a website but they gave me no software to use and i did not have any practical expereince as it was not part of course. When i called the training manager to ask what to do he replied "just get a template from the internet and adjust it"!?!

I paid almost 3k for someone to tell me to copy someone elses work!!

I have sent a 2 letters of complaint about the service and numerous emails but i am being ignored. I am currently in discussion with consumer direct and trading standards regarding appalling service they offer.

Take a look at google map street view. Their address is 74 woodside green SE25 5EU London. It is tiny and looks dodgy.

11. Bill 2009

Bill 2009 New Member

Harrypotter,

I am currently in a similar situation to you with Computrain UK. Have you got any further with your discussions with consumer direct and trading standards?

Certifications: MCSE
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

sorry to say it again, but: I am not aware of any "training providers" offering jobs.

Why? Because their business is to train people - yep, educate people to brush up old skills and learn new ones.

If you are referring to a "sales provider" then the internet is crawling with them.
    They stand out a mile because they all tell potential customers what they want to hear. namely, we will help you find a job, we will make you understand topics you currently have no understanding of, you will be earning lots of money, or working for yourself. All this without meeting you. Remarkable.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

no one guarantee you a job no one. However much they say they will more often than not they have a get out clause or the job they get you isn't what you were hoping for.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. crabsy

crabsy Bit Poster

the ciw has been out over ten years and there are no jobs out there that require it, just go on any of the job sites and type in ciw you will get zero jobs on it,

this qualification is so out of date its crazy you may as well go and learn how to build an igloo and try and sell it to someone that lives in a desert.

COMPUTRAIN CONS PEOPLE.

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcpd