Active directory understanding for a different exam?

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by shocksl, May 9, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Hey guys

I am studying for an MCTS 70-680 exam.

It states that i need to know an overall understanding of overall Active directory structures etc and basic understanding of IPV4 and IP6 structures in order to be able to study for the exam in question.

So what is the best way I can learn more about Active Directory structures etc. ( even though the exam is NOT on active directory). I just need good knowledge on the area.

thanks for any help.

thanks

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi again shocksl,

hope the 680 study is going well...

This is an ideal candidate for 'labbing'. You can setup a quick and easy domain with a trial version of Server 2008 R2 and a Win7 system (Ultimate or Enterprise) as this is the only real way to "test real world" scenarios with your Win7 setup.
    The vids I used certainly went through it from the point of view that you had a lab setup to run through what they were teaching you.
    It is quite quick and easy to do so...

As for IPv4/6, I'd just have a read through the ideas on the internet, there's plenty of resource available and you're only looking at it from the point of view of someone needing to kniow the basics of the differences between them.

It is well covered in the MS Press Books too...

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
    shocksl likes this.
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
    shocksl likes this.
  4. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

I've sat the XP, Vista and 7 client exams and I, like most agree that the Windows 7 exam had far more involvement with Active Directory/Server 2008 and the general deployment of the O/S. Whereas the Vista exam was more about supporting end-users as they go about their job.

The A/D involvement is not that heavy, in fact you wouldn't need any other than a basic understanding of how Active Directory interacts with Windows clients etc. However, if you have the hard disk space and CPU spec - it wouldn't harm sticking an evaluation copy of Server 2008 on a VM and having a bash with a couple of Windows 7 VMs.

shocksl likes this.
  5. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Im also starting to study the 70-680 and do not yet have knowledge of Active Directory, think i will carry on with my studying through the book and videos i have until i feel like i need to know in-depth what AD is then il youtube it lol :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
    shocksl likes this.
  6. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Thank you sooo much for the help guys! I really apreciate it.

So what are your opinions in regards to shall I go htrough the book and videos in order. Or shall I try to learn about the Active Directory / IP4 /6 before I do the rest of the ms book?

Lastly, can somebody please be kind enough to send me a link to the Active directory trial link? and also the VM that I can use??

7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

shocksl likes this.
  8. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thankyou very much Boffy for the clarification and the links. Which free VMware would you consider best?

rich, I went through some vids in regards to IPV4 and IP6 etc. They were showing how it is worked out (binary numbers) etc. Do we need to learn in that kind of detaul for this exam?

9. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I would say that what will be needed is the IPV6 syntax - what they mean and what 'type' this gives you. Also, the different ways of how IPV4 and 6 'sit together' on the same machine and the ways of implementing 4 to 6 compatibility...

HTH!

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    shocksl likes this.
  10. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Thank you sooo much for the info there! Would the info you described there be available from the micrsoft Press Book (if u have any experience of this book)? or would i need to do further research?

Finally before I start the course other than IP4/6 and Active directory, is there anything else I should specifically myself aware off? Or shall i just get on with watching the vids and then reading the book?

11. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

VMware Player is just what you need for now :)

shocksl likes this.
  12. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

No probs! Yes it is, and in enough detail to not need another resource (although I believe it will also be explained in any vids - Trainsignal, CBT & Prof M's.)

I would just start and see what other q's it brings up in your mind...

Good luck!

shocksl likes this.
  13. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you soo much for your help , both of you :)

finally, is there any tips you can give me before I start to revise properly? :)

14. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

shocksl likes this.
  15. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank u soo much mate, do you think he's better than cbt nuggets and train signal in terms of detail?

thanks

16. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I've only used CBT for A+, which tbh I didn't enjoy (or watch them all).

Too much american, lame jokes - I just wanted to get to the point. But, I don't really find revising fun, i enjoy the labbing and practical bits.

Professor Messer is amazing, especially since it is FREE! So I'd personally advise to watch professor messer to get an overall view of the Win7 exam, then follow it up with the MSPress book. This will then fill in the blanks and add the knowledge along with labbing.

Alternatively, I know some people here watch a chapter, then follow the MSPress chapter, lab test, before moving onto the next area. Sounds like a thorough method, but it really depends on how easy you find time to revise.

With 4 hours of travelling a day, I'd blast my videos/book on the trip and finish the labbing when I'm home.