Group policy precedence question

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by xmojo, Aug 19, 2010.

1. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

Trying to wrap my head around Group Policy, and have this question:

Let’s assume there is an OU that has both computer and user objects in it. The following GPOs are linked to this OU:

• GPO-computer: this GPO has both computer config and user config settings enabled. The User Configuration setting that has been enabled is “Remove My Documents icon on the desktop”
    • GPO-user: this GPO has the User Configuration setting “Remove My Documents icon the desktop” disabled

Let’s also assume in GPO-computer that the Computer Configuration setting “User Group Policy loopback processing mode” is not configured.

So, GPO-computer should apply to the computer objects in the OU, and GPO-user should apply to the user objects in the OU.

I assume then, that any user logging onto any of the computers targeted by GPO-computer will be affected by the user configured policy settings in GPO-computer, correct?

Therefore, there is a conflict; the users will receive policy from both GPO-computer and GPO-user; one policy will remove My Documents icon from the desktop, the other prevents this from happening.

Which user policy setting takes precedence?

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Computer policy applied first (when the PC boots up). Then the user policy is applied when the user logs on (if the user object is in the same OU).

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I believe computer policies take priorty over user gpo.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. Sparky

Do you not need to add loopback for that?

Been a while since I've done any GPO work...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

With the loopback policy disabled, i'd have thought the user configuration would take precedence over the computer configuration?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  6. Sparky

Yup, thats what I thought. Would need to test it out to be sure though.

7. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

It's whatever policy has the higher precedence (you can change the precedence of a policy at the same ou), by default its the policy that was created first as it will be applied last, unless the newer policy has been enforced.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  8. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

The op states the both settings are at the user settings, its just the name of the polices (computer, user) that may be confusing the issue.

9. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

GPO-computer will apply the computer and user settings, as will GPO-user. Its because the computers and the users are in the same OU. If they conflict, then whatever has higher precedence will win.

10. xmojo

xmojo Nibble Poster

You could be right. It had slipped my mind that multiple GPOs applied to an object will appear in order of precedence, and that the order of the GPOs can be changed to suit. So if GPO-Computer appears higher up the list than GPO-User, it will be applied last and its settings will have precedence if there are any conflicts with other GPOs.

11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Yeah, I got it the wrong way round :oops:

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

I thought the question was if it was a single policy with a computer configuration and user configuration setting that conflicted rather than 2 different gpos?

edit: Just re-read your post and it is 2 different gpos, my mistake, i blame posting from my iphone.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  13. Sparky

Err, the GPO that has computer settings configured is applied when the PC boots up and gets the Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen. Then if you log on with a user account that is in the OU *then* the user settings are applied.

......I think :biggrin

14. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Oooo mate you better not the new job know . . . . . :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  15. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Who let you out the cage?

We all have our off days lol

16. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ha ha yeah I got let out the assylum for a day! Just kidding me old mucka, I know you're a perfectionist so couldn't resist :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  17. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Both GPOs will be read and processed by both accounts (unless security permissions or filtering were in play)

Generally when a domain computer boots it runs through applying all the computer policies at startup, it reads both user and computer settings but only generally applies computer settings (unless loopback mode is enabled)

The user account will do the same when it logs in, reads both accounts, what it will check is its order of processing for that OU, and apply the last instance of that setting (eg if 2 GPO's have the same setting one is listed as having an order number of 1, then that will run first, then one has an order number of 5, than that one with lorder of 1 should contain the setting that is used as it has higher prcedence)

OR You could use RSOP or the modelling tool in the GPMC to find out which would take precedence:)

Generally it is much better design to keep user and computer objects apart (for instance you can save logon processing time by disabling uneeded computer and user properties, and future management will be so much easier), but AD is flexible enough to cater for this layout.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  18. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,