Domain Controllers in Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Jakamoko, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi All,

Got a scenario at work right now where we are redesigning the test-bed for the new network.

Servers are all running Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and there were 2 that acted as PDC and BDC (do these exist in w2k ? - I thought they were all equal)

The server that was previously deemed PDC crashed, and we need to promote the BDC to become PDC, but when this is done, the BDC is still attempting to find the PDC...??? Seems it is set to seek the Global Catalogue from the old PDC.

I know I'm not explaining this too well, as we're working on this live as I type, but any help would be gratefuly received, as fast as youse can, Guys ....:blink

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I'm pretty sure they do Jak, last place I was at had a PDC and BDC.

I can't really help, but shouldn't the BDC have a copy oif the Global Catalogue on it?? After all, the whole point of having a BDC is redundency.

Shouldn't the GC have been replicated from the PDC?

Sorry mate, I'm in over my head here, and just thought I'd take a stab. :oops:

EDIT: Just had a thought, however i may be speaking out of my a$$. Where's Pheonix when you need him lol.

Is there anyway that after promoting the BDC to PDC, you can change to where it look's for the GC?? I would have thought that after the promotion, it would know it was at the top. After all, it takes over user logon's ect. But like I said, not really sure.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well going on the principle that there's NO PDCs and BDCs in w2k, then yeah, the second DC should have a copy of the Global Catalogue, but it doesn't seem to be able to find it.I can see this prob is going to drag on for quite a while :cry:

Thanks Andy - will check it out more ....

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

erm, no PDCs and BDCs to not exist in a 2k domain
    unless im reading your quesiton wrong

you do have a PDC emulator for backward compat with NT domains, and you do generally have only one GC server to begin with

the first server in the domain is generally the PDCE and the first GC server, you can make any other server a GC server though in (i think, AD Sites and Services)

you may want to go over your operational masters too, as the first machine generally takes those roles too

ofcourse i could of spent far to long on 2k3 and this could be irrelevant to that old school stuff :D

oh yeah, and a GC is rather redundant in a Single Site/Single domain model
    atleast it is in 2003, bear with me its been almost 4 years since i did my 2k MCSE lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

I echo Phoenix, the pdc/bdc situation in w2k should only come down to which is the pdc emulator to provide logon for downlevels amongst others.

If your pdc emulator has crashed I think you will need to 'sieze' it thru the ntdsutil command line. Im flakey on the syntax, 'help' will cover it in detail tho.

HTH

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  6. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I'd echo what Pheonix and Shaunyboy have said, also add that the PDC emulator isn't just for downlevel clients, iirc it's also used to control password changes throughout the domain. If the second DC is the only one left and you have no chance of recovering the first one then you probably want to look at siezing all of the Operation Master roles.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Thanks for the immense help there Guys - that should come in very useful. I'll get in touch with the poor mug who's been left to pick up the pieces of this one - cos I'm off on holiday for a week :biggrin

Cheers again :thumbleft

8. shaunyboy

shaunyboy Nibble Poster

Lol, Good time to get out Jak!! Have a good hols :D

Certifications: A+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Exchange
  9. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Everybody has answered the question Gav

You off to Ayr then?

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Quite possibly will actually.

If so, I'll make sure we pass the office, where I should be afforded a perfect view of DC's flying out the window at high speed :biggrin :ohmy :cry: