What interactive resources (if any) are available?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Juelz, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi people!

I was just wondering is there any interactive A+ software available to assist with the A+ exam? like some kind of simulation program or something? I dont really have the resources to take a computer apart so was hoping for some kind of software of some sort.

2. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

There are interactive things for the likes of Cisco routers etc. and video stuff for learning operating systems etc.

But you cannot beat stripping a box down. Doing it for real is always best when possible I think... so why cant you take a PC apart?

Certifications: CCNA | HND | 70-646
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have 4 laptops 0 PCs

4. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Build a PC from bits, you can buy mainboard bundles (RAM and CPU all fitted for you) for £80 odd or cheaper and then you need a case and hard disk and monitor (or even get some 2nd hand old monitors etc.. if your really skint)
    ie. Motherboard Bundles - CCL Computers

Id speculate you could do low end PC for £150 or so, depending on your funds I would look at it as an opportunity to get a decent workstation. Laptops are a pain to strip although of course you can change ram, screens etc. in them I would still look at building your own PC its great fun and an achievement and is not really difficult at all. You can then fiddle with it, change drives etc...

But really I dont think you could get a Computer resource even if its a video that would give you the same experience.

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice I came across this.. not bad ehy?

Dell Optiplex GX520 Mini Tower P4 3.0GHz/512MB/40GB/COMBO: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

6. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

No prob :)

Yeh good price for 2nd hand stuff, we used to chuck lots of stuff out where I used to work but not there anymore (a school) as you could have one.

Get it mate, break it fix it etc.. :)

7. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

good piece of kit that is also, if any of your four laptops you currently have are out of warranty, and only if you feel comfortable in doing so then download a service manual for them and take them apart and put back together... even if your not very confident then just stripping down the ram and hard drive is a good start so you can see how the ram fits in to a laptop as you will then be seeing so-dim 200pin modules as opposed to the dim's your going to get in a standard pc rig.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  8. badge

badge New Member

Search on eBay for laptop spare or repair. If you sort by location you can quite often find one close by that you can collect and not pay the P&P.
    I've bought broken laptops for 99p before now.

9. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

Sounds a plan. Probably possible to build a fully working laptop from various scrap ones (I havent looked on ebay). If there is a lot of workstations for spare or repair would be even easier as components are usually compatible.

10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I had a teacher once who told me taking a laptop apart and putting it back together was almost impossible. ..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. badge

badge New Member

What were they a teacher of...?

Taking a modern laptop apart is very easy, the older they get the harder it gets.

12. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

I think it depends what laptop, I have taken some older ones apart that were ok and some later that were easier and harder. So in my experience I havent seen a pattern really.

I once messed up a HP laptop by rushing to strip it down, had to get all the way to the mainboard PSU plug, it was a pig but I was a bit ham fisted with the keyboard ribbon cable connector and assumed it was the type where you click the front of it before the ribbon comes out. In fact it just pulled out and by attempting to open the clip mechanism I broke the whole plug! Had to use an external keyboard!

Just be careful and gentle and it would be a good idea to note which screws go into which holes on a piece of paper (or draw a little diagram of the holes and put relevant screws on the paper) or even take pics on a camera phone, I have seen long screws that would of gone in to far if put in wrong places that could extend to damage PCBs etc.. just be careful and youd be fine.

Have had some pain in the .. laptops where I tell the staff no worries ill do the hard drive for you, show them where to order the drive then realising I spend most of the day stripping it down to get the drive in!!

13. badge

badge New Member

Fair point mate - maybe it just been the last couple of laptops I've striped that I've noticed the older ones are pigs to strip down.

14. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Lol IT

15. sheepluv

sheepluv Byte Poster

typical. IT teachers ive come across in schools often beleive they are some sort of expert with regards h/w and support issues. Might be some about but their expertise is teaching and IT curriculum.
    leave tech to techs :lol:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Join freecycle and try and refurbish a few PC's, just pulling a couple apart will give you 80% of the experience you need for the A+.