How long to acquire?

Discussion in 'A+' started by SiberianKhatru, Dec 10, 2013.

1. SiberianKhatru

SiberianKhatru Bit Poster

I know this can be filed under the "how long is a piece of string" category, but I was wondering how long it takes on average.

I have my book and as soon as the madness of Christmas is over, I will be starting it on January 1st, with the hope to acquire the certification by my birthday on February 11th.

Does this sound unrealistic if I'm going to be studying it at least 3 hours a day?

WIP: A+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As you said, this is a "How long is a piece of string" question, for me personally it would take me the time it took to book and sit the exam to pass it whereas I know someone who has tried the exam twice and failed (I kid you not).

It's all subjective and is always going to be based on YOUR knowledge and experience and the only person who knows that is you.

It could be that you pick this up really easily and only need that month, it could be that you don't pick it up at all and decide that IT isn't for you and you move on.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. SiberianKhatru

SiberianKhatru Bit Poster

Hi Simon. Thank you for the reply.

As for my knowledge, it's at bare minimum. I've always had an interest in IT, but never thought I'd be clever enough to delve too deeply into it.

Anyway, I couldn't take the wait any longer, so decided to start in advance of new year and so far I'm really enjoying the book. I'm on chapter 5, and I got an 8/10, 10/10, 10/10 and a 9/10 on the practice tests at the end of each chapter so far.

The only frustrating thing is being interrupted in my study and the busyness of Christmas getting in the way! lol

I don't know what I'll be able to get vocationally as I'm nearing 28 with no experience, but I'll persevere simply because I'm enjoying it for now.

WIP: A+