[need advice]no colege degree.

Discussion in 'A+' started by aplusboy, Aug 22, 2013.

1. aplusboy

aplusboy New Member

I am 20 years old now and i don't have college degree and i don't plan to go to college. because i need to work for my self.
    but i still want to get a fixing computer job. is this possible with getting a+ only and non college graduate.
    i hate reading over the internet that they say there's no way to get on it without getting on to college.

well i'm planning to complete the comptia trio after i will get A+
    i cant go to class because it is too expensive, a+ class alone cost 2000$ or more
    and for only 5 days straight.

family and friends told me no money on being computer technician. only minimum, is that true?
    but i like being with computer and it is a lot easier for me to understand than any other things.

i just migrated to u.s and i have no desktop PC to practice with, all i just have is this old laptop and book a+ and CD from mike mayer
    what is good minimum specs of a computer for practice?

i really like to get in to fixing computer job and do that for a living but no time for college because i need to work for my self.
    so plaese give me a good advice.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

While it's not impossible, in the US (from what I can remember when I lived out there) it will be harder to get a job in IT as the US is more degree orientated with the AA or AS the bare minimum.

As for your laptop, that'll be fine, the A+ is really an entry level cert in the grand scheme of certifications (it's the professional level cert in the world of comptia). Use all the resources available to you, eg professor messor, etc...

As for wage, yes when you start out, you'll most likely be getting minimum wage, but the higher you go, the higher the wage. Of course it does depend on the sector, the organisation, and the area you live/work in.

Last... Getting a degree or any qualification... You do not have to go to college full time for any of them. There are alternatives, part time studies, distance learning/self study, etc... There's also degree equivalents, not sure what they are called in the US (if they are called nothing different), over here in the uk, we have nvq's level 4 and 5, professional diplomas at level 5 and above, etc...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. aplusboy

aplusboy New Member

i can do self study .im planning to get other comptia certifications too. i know the hard thing to do is to get experience.
    can this comptia certifications will do some qualifications ?

Is getting a couple of certification worth it? or ill be wasting my time.

Im sorry im just making sure not to waste my time. thank you

4. LinuxMint

LinuxMint Bit Poster

What would be the point of this online forum "Certforums" if everyone got their A+ equivalent via a College Degree? Obviously there are lots of people studying A+ and working their way up.

5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Computer technicians do not make much money, but it could lead to better things if you're smart and work hard.

First get a job, any job, it will give you some options.

Then investigate part time learning options, colleges, MOOC's, CBTs, certifications, look into all of it and get as much advice as you can. Don't just sit on the internet, walk into colleges, careers advice centres, computer shops etc.

Many people now feel an affinity with computers, know that to make a living at something you need to be far better at it than the general populus.

Nobody can tell you if its 'worth it', thats up to you, do something you're interested in and it will generally be 'worth it'.