An A+ book for beginers that gets straight to the point?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Juelz, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have the Mike Myers book but I sadly regret purchasing it! he waffles to much about irrelevant things and I just cant read through it.. its more like his personal diary rather than a study guide. Anyway can anyone recommend a book for beginners that just gets straight to the point, that I can use to study for the comptia a+? also I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good general computer book for beginners.. not one that demonstrates how to turn the computer on but one which can explain the functions and different parts of the computer and how each part connects to the other.

2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

The Pearson Exam Cram for A+ was really good, it covers what you need for the exam.

The Mike Meyers book although big and includes a lot of filler information, I'd still suggest reading the whole book if you can. Then consult the Exam Cram with some Professor Messer videos nearer your exam date.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. LMC

LMC New Member

I too am looking for a good A+ book. I've been messing with computers on and off since the Sinclair ZX81 (Yes I'm positively ancient) and have about 4+ years tech support (Hp/Dell/Compaq) on the phones, and also as a small business admin, but want to actually certify myself at some point soon. The Michael Meyers book has lots of good reviews, but somehow seems to come off as a bit 'gimmicky' to me. (Is that just a false impression?) I don't mind background info... the more knowledge the better IMHO. I was considering this book instead:

CompTIA A+ Complete Deluxe Study Guide Recommended Courseware: Exams 220-801 and 220-802
    Quentin Docter (Author), Emmett Dulaney (Author), Toby Skandier (Author)

Any suggestions?

4. Nicko

Nicko New Member

I'm using the mike myers study book and so far it is good. I recommend it.

5. Nicko

Nicko New Member

I also just bought the powercert a+ video. Thanks Kapro for the tip. :D

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I downloaded the demo, but would like to see how the video flows through the topics more tbh.. is it really that good?

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I did the A+ years ago but the Mike Myers book is one of the best tech books I have ever read.

That is all :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

It was the professor messer site that got me through it.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  9. Nicko

Nicko New Member

Yes. I recommend it. The animations are great for learning. The information is not as detailed as a book, but its really good especially for the price. You still need a book to read though, like mike Myers.